Cheap Digital Camera
Oct 30, 2002 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
Even though digicams have been discussed here before, I didn't notice any threads that recommended less expensive cameras in the recent past.

Looking to spend around 100 dollars, let's say 120 at the most including shipping. I know that's quite cheap, and the quality products at that price point may be close to nil for all I know...but our needs at this time (and perhaps for all time) are quite modest and non-specific.

The camera is for general use, snapping photos of whatever catches the eye, but if possible, it should be fairly good at getting closeups (for things like jewelry and other items). Perhaps nearly all cameras are good at this, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.

Of course, I'd rather go with the more established and respected brand names, like Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Minolta, Olympus, or perhaps Kodak. Specific models which have caught my eye thus far are the Fujifilm Finepix 1300, and the Olympus Camedia models (D-360L/D-370/D-400/D-450). Any comments?

Advice is most appreciated, and if you've got any place which gives good advice for cheap-o models specifically, let me know. I know about great sites like dpreview.com, but haven't seen anything which would help me select an inexpensive camera.

thanks

Oct 30, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 3
I bought a refurbished Olympus D100 from a seller on eBay for $70 recently. It's grainy compared to better cameras but for $70, it is adequate for taking pictures for the web and such. The contrast and colors are good and it's easy to use.

Oct 30, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Yep, you can find something that'll work well enough for your purposes in that price range. Check out c|net Electronics for some good reviews on lots and lots of models.

It will be tough to find a good macro on a cheap camera, though. But make sure you get one that does have a macro mode or it will probably be terrible.

kerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back