Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5?
Sep 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus
If the iPhone 5's Lightning line out is all digital, that will mean that we should see new and affordable portable amps with DACs built-in, or standalone DACs, or Lightning-to-3.5 mm connecting wires with DACs built-in. They should be more affordable since I suppose there is now no need to pay large sums to Apple to extract the digital signals. Or am I missing something here? If I'm right then I'm glad I didn't pull the money trigger and got my CLAS or Fostex HP-P1.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
If the iPhone 5's Lightning line out is all digital, that will mean that we should see new and affordable portable amps with DACs built-in, or standalone DACs, or Lightning-to-3.5 mm connecting wires with DACs built-in. They should be more affordable since I suppose there is now no need to pay large sums to Apple to extract the digital signals. Or am I missing something here? If I'm right then I'm glad I didn't pull the money trigger and got my CLAS or Fostex HP-P1.

not sure how it makes it easier, its still essentially proprietary usb port.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 10
It makes it easier because it's sending a digital signal out (like optical or coax digital). So you just need to plug it in to a DAC. This is even better than using a LOD which relies on on-board DAC.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
It makes it easier because it's sending a digital signal out (like optical or coax digital). So you just need to plug it in to a DAC. This is even better than using a LOD which relies on on-board DAC.

Ah, but do you think it will be that easy? I hope so. That would be great!
cool.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Not necessarily we've been able to get digital out from iDevices for awhile now, from what I know the hurdle is it requires an authentication chip and apple approval of the device, that's why there's so few on the market at this point. I don't see these requirements changing for the Lightning connection.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Not necessarily we've been able to get digital out from iDevices for awhile now, from what I know the hurdle is it requires an authentication chip and apple approval of the device, that's why there's so few on the market at this point. I don't see these requirements changing for the Lightning connection.

I fear you may be correct...

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Well some company is going to figure this out. The iPhone5 will be/is too popular to ignore. Take my money please:happy_face1:

Same feeling ! I hope that it is actually cheaper! I'd love to carry something sleek long with my phone

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 10
The Apple Lightning to 30 pin adaptor has a built in DAC. No idea about the quality of the DAC.. With the adaptor plugged in and a LOD on the bottom, its going to make the 5 quite long and spoil the asthetics . 

At least the headphone jack is now on the bottom of the 5. May need to go back to a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead and double amping :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back