Cheap computer speakers (audioengine a2 vs a5, and a source question)
Jun 19, 2008 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Eriatarka

New Head-Fier
I normally use headphones for my listening but was wanting to get a set of speakers. Unfortunately, I dont have too much disposable income at the moment so I'm probably just going to go for a set of computer speakers rather than a proper dac/amp/bookshelf setup. I was wondering:

1) My source will be either an ipod or my laptop. The onboard soundcard is pretty horrible though so I'd like to upgrade it, but since its a laptop I obviously cant get an internal one. Are there any decent, cheap options for improving the source without having to buy a USB DAC for $100+?

2) I'm not sure whether the Audioengine A5s are worth the extra over the A2s. From what Ive read, the main difference is that the A5s have better bass, but how much of this depends on the source? Also are the A5s actually comparable to bookshelf speakers of the similar

Thanks

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I had the Audioengine A2's and now the Audioengine A5's.

In a near field application the A2's are nothing short of astounding in my humble opinion...So if your application is sitting on a desk and you do not expect them to fill a room with sound then the A2's are the way to go.

If not then you might want to consider the A5's...I can tell you the A5's are great to use with portable players...USB and mini input on top of the left speaker...Add in the volume knob up front and they certainly have their advantages versus the A2's.

I took my A5's and a Velodyne VX-10 to a pool party...My friend hooked her Zune up to them and everybody had something to say about the sound quality.

I can tell you this for sure...The A2's or A5's either one will really show what you are feeding them...From bit-rates of the media you are playing to the source.

So they can sound really good...Or really bad.

Creative, Turtle Beach and I am sure a bunch of different manufacturers make very inexpensive USB sound cards that would be 10 times better than unsing the onboard from your lappy.

Even this super el-cheapo would probably mop up the floor versus the onboard sound.

http://http://www.newegg.com/Product...82E16829612001

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 7
The Audioengine's aren't really computer speakers, more "consumer active monitors". How they compare to traditional monitors and bookshelf's I'm not sure as I haven't heard them but they seem well designed people seem to praise them so they should fair pretty well.

The problem with either the A2s or 5s is nothing is upgradeable (aside from the source) since the amp is built in. If its not a long term solution the A2's probably make more sense. For the price of the A5's your getting pretty close to something like the Trends T-amp and decent set of passive monitors.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 7
I have the A2's and love them for a near field monitor. I have them hooked up to a fubar3 usb dac/headphone amp and the combo has great synergy. You will not be disapointed with any audioengine product it is quality stuff.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 7
You should try HiVi's Swan D1080MkII , they're pretty affordable, nice looking and functional. Perfect for the office or home office. I wish I had an extra pair as a spare, you never know.

The Audio Insider - Home loudspeaker systems and reviews

You can hook up any source, but like somebody said before, you better have good quality files to take advantage of the speakers.

Hope it helps.

[size=xx-small]No portable rigs yet[/size]

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Being an Audioengine A5 owner, I can verify that they're definitely source sensitive. They sound just like any other speaker when hooked up to an iPod, laptop, or plain Creative soundcard.

But when you hook up a EMU 0404 or a DAC they start singing. Imaging, detail and seperation will improve greatly. A source investment is highly recommended with the speakers.

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNwiLD0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being an Audioengine A5 owner, I can verify that they're definitely source sensitive. They sound just like any other speaker when hooked up to an iPod, laptop, or plain Creative soundcard.

But when you hook up a EMU 0404 or a DAC they start singing. Imaging, detail and seperation will improve greatly. A source investment is highly recommended with the speakers.

I absolutely agree.

Everything you do will affect the sound of A5's.

I did not have the A2's but for a couple of weeks...Really did not put them thru the ringer like I have the A5's.

But they too exibited big time changes to what I was feeding them.

Operandi hipped me by responding to a thread saying to give the Audioengine's credit for exposing the weakness of source and the quality of the data they recieve.

And I agree...If you send a quailty pair of speakers good sound they will produce it.

When I was in the Logitech, Klipsch, Creative world I tried a bunch of stuff.

Difference...Not much...Certainly not worth the time spent and money spent.

Really made me understand that the reason "computer as source" audio can be a lot more hassle than going out and buying good audio system stuff and putting it together.

My HTS is rocking...And hopefully I can get smokin audio performance from my computer...Getting there...That is for sure...Tried the HTPC route and lost intrest.

Being able to sit at my computer and have extremely high quality sound seem's the better way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back