Cheap cmoy impressions
Aug 7, 2005 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
I bought one of those really cheap cmoy amplifiers off of ebay, and being the sceptic I am I thought there'd be little difference to most adequate headphone outputs. I was wrong, very wrong. My grado 325i's sound far less aggressive and smoother, all the un-natural brightness has gone. They also sound more alive, and the bass is much more present, and has real texture. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Dedicated headphone amps-try one, it'll make a big difference!
Now I'm wondering whether to get an opa627 based pimeta/ppa, more expense!
Edit: Dam I feel goood! (Sorry I had to put that I was listening to Ac/Dc, then Air, now James Brown). The detail is crazy, I didn't know my mp3s had so much.

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Its the increased dynamics (not volume) that makes an amp worth the investment. Especially with low impedence cans. Had to listen to my KSC75 unamped the other day on the stair-master... YUK!!! one muddy conjested mess. Thats one thing about Grados, they can really benefeit from the simplest cmoy circuit.

Enjoy the little amp...

Garrett

Aug 7, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 7
cmoys have always been a very nice sounding amp, as you go up the ladder, the cost of diminishing returns begins to chime it, the upper level amps offer better noise control, enclosure and parts, but the performance increase becomes a lot smaller the more money you drop into a headphone amp IMO

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes, I have to agree with you 100%. Was VERY sceptical about how a headpone out would help, especially as I only listened to my player at 8/40
!

A cmoy later and the difference was very noticeable. Unfortunately it led me on an evil path that my wallet hates me for.

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
Was it from an ebay shop seller? Maybe let us know who you bought from on there? I'd like to pickup a really cheap amp just for starters.

Contact some of the DIY'ers. Mister X, for exampl, makes some great amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back