Cheap CD Players that are good
Apr 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mackat

Has made 3,500 posts, so he says anyway.
I'm looking for one that is good under $50 used. Any reccomendations? New ones are fine too, but under the same price bracket.

Thanks,

MacKat:)

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 5
A used Philips with a decent CDM system? Make sure the laser is still in good condition. 

There are also Sony, JVC, Pioneer etcetera. I found a very capable Yamaha for a low price. 

With any luck you can track down a used Marantz or NAD from the early two thousands. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 5
My Denon DCD-910 has been called a good CDP a few places ("beautiful DENON sound!!"), but I'm having trouble finding any for sale. One ebay listing I found that hadn't been deleted had an $80 starting tag but 0 bids, so I can only assume that meant people thought it was too high. If you can find one, it's probably going to cost you less than $50.

It's been said to be finicky about the CDs it plays, but I think most of that is people are getting garage sale finds and the like, so they aren't the best treated to begin with. The one I have hasn't given me any errors (however I do baby my CDs).

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 5
If you go to enough yard sales and thrift shops, you'll probably run into an older Sony es series 5 disk changer or player for $10-$35. You could upgrade with dac from optical out when you have more cash. Many of them will run well with remote from other Sony models, and thrift stores have the remotes for these players on a semi-regular basis. This is my top choice because of the factors of availability, frugality, and upgradeability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back