Cheap CD Changer with coaxial output?
Aug 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for the cheapest costing CD Changer (5 CD minimum) out there that offers coaxial output (I'll be using it pretty much only as a transport). Color must be black. Any suggestions? I have no brand loyalties. So far I've only found the TEAC PD-D2610 and the Sherwood CDC5090R, but both are kind of pricey at ~$130.

Oh, and as compact as possible would be great as it'll be used in a dorm environment.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for the cheapest costing CD Changer (5 CD minimum) out there that offers coaxial output (I'll be using it pretty much only as a transport). Color must be black. Any suggestions? I have no brand loyalties. So far I've only found the TEAC PD-D2610 and the Sherwood CDC5090R, but both are kind of pricey at ~$130.

Oh, and as compact as possible would be great as it'll be used in a dorm environment.

look at cdplayers from sony. they have even 200 disc changers for a very decent price new. look on ebay, they turn up frequently.

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't you just get a optical->coax converter?

You could also consider a dvd player, as all of the cdplayers I have seen that are 5 changers are physically much larger then their dvd counterparts.

Just about every DAC has optical and coax inputs, my guess is he's just looking to avoid optical all together (with good reason too).

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 20
I have the TEAC PD-D2610 that I am using strictly as a transport and it works really well for me. I've thrown regular CDs as well as CD-R at it and not one hickup. I was able to pick it up for $99 from Newegg. They are still offering that price, but it looks like they're on backorder until Monday (8/6).

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just about every DAC has optical and coax inputs, my guess is he's just looking to avoid optical all together (with good reason too).

Yup
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the TEAC PD-D2610 that I am using strictly as a transport and it works really well for me. I've thrown regular CDs as well as CD-R at it and not one hickup. I was able to pick it up for $99 from Newegg. They are still offering that price, but it looks like they're on backorder until Monday (8/6).

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can snag one of these when they (hopefully) go back in stock tomorrow. How's the interface and everything? Anything worth noting in your experience with the player?

Any other suggestions?

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

So tell me how the 1's and 0's through coaxial are SO much better than those from optical?

edit: I mean, I'd probably go for coax just because they are more rugged and have a more secure connection, but besides that...

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So tell me how the 1's and 0's through coaxial are SO much better than those from optical?

edit: I mean, I'd probably go for coax just because they are more rugged and have a more secure connection, but besides that...

Do a search for jitter and you'll find all the answers you'll ever need. But lets not hijack this thread into those big 50+page debates about optical vs coax jitter levels =b

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Sorry, with my limited experience with DACS I had 3 with coax only, I guess I am not the norm.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Sorry, with my limited experience with DACS I had 3 with coax only, I guess I am not the norm.

3 Coax only DACs? You must have hit just about all of the non-optical DACs available =b

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

You could also consider a dvd player, as all of the cdplayers I have seen that are 5 changers are physically much larger then their dvd counterparts.

I'm considering DVD changers w/ coaxial output. As long as it can play a CD, can hold at least 5 CDs, has coaxial output, and costs ~$100 or less, then I'm game
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Wow, there are so many cheap DVD changers with coaxial output. I've found more than enough:

Harman Kardon FL 8385
Sony DVP-NC85H
Onkyo DXC390
Toshiba SD2805
Yamaha DV-C6760/C6860
Sony DVP-NC80v

Thanks for your help, everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back