Cheap Cans For a B-Day Present
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

NickyaKillah

Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

I need some help on something. I have a surprise planned for a friend's birthday, that being a new pair of headphones. He's been using some crappy gaming headset from china as his main gaming setup. I would like some recommendations for some nice cans under $100. Requirements listed below. Thanks!

-Under or approx. $100. Absolute maximum budget would be $120
-Sound Staging is a BIG factor
-Close-Back preferred, but will consider open-back
-NO GAMING HEADSETS!

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 14
For closed back it would be hard to go wrong with TakStar Pro 80 or the Gemini Clone (HSR-1000 I think).  For Open back the Superlux 668b is probably at the low end ($45) and the Grado Sr-80 at the upper.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 14
I would add the Superlux HD681 Evo to the open options. It is a little less peaky in the treble than the 668b, a bit smoother on top. Very good soundstage for the modest price.

One other spendier option that is open is the Senn HD5xx series HD518. Should be within the $120 price range.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 14
  Superlux HD330/660, plus third party DT770 earpads (velour or faux leather, search for "Bropads DT770" on Amazon).

I've had an interest in the 660 but cant find nearly as much info as I've seen on the 668b and only found one seller for them between amazon and ebay.   Do you own the 660s and how do they compare to the Brainwavz hm5 or the Takstar pro 80s?

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 14

I've had an interest in the 660 but cant find nearly as much info as I've seen on the 668b and only found one seller for them between amazon and ebay.   Do you own the 660s and how do they compare to the Brainwavz hm5 or the Takstar pro 80s?

takstar pro 80/gemini hsr1000/hyperxcloud!! they somehow magically sound just like the 2050s but are closed and more comfortable, nice soundstage, and not sharp/fatiguing! imo they are the best closed headphones, since i dont like sharp sounding cans - i use them for portable use and whenever i want a closed set or just if i feel like it - my main set is sennheiser hd 650.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 14
  takstar pro 80/gemini hsr1000/hyperxcloud!! they somehow magically sound just like the 2050s but are closed and more comfortable, nice soundstage, and not sharp/fatiguing! imo they are the best closed headphones, since i dont like sharp sounding cans - i use them for portable use and whenever i want a closed set or just if i feel like it - my main set is sennheiser hd 650.

I've got the Pro 80 and can wholeheartedly recommend it.  Just always interested in new stuff and usually not in the market for high end with kids in college so the $100-200 US range is usually the best I can do.   I've been wanting to try the 660s and the HM5 or the Fi-003 that was the FOTM a year or two back.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiljen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the HD330 since that was what was available locally at the time (if I ordered it the international shipping would cost more than the product, and then I'd pay import taxes). Isolation is decent but of course with no sound out of them I can hear my PC fans, as I use it 99% of the time with my gaming desktop (these days it's the dry, scorching hot season so my 120mm rad+exhaust fan is running at 65% all the time, and 2x120mm intake fans at full 12volts; even my PSU fan is running faster these days).

Out of the box, it's basically like the SR60 but with a lot more (upper) bass. I adjusted the headband shape to relax the clamp on my head (basically following the shape of current HiFiMan headbands), the sound was smoothened out a little bit but overall the bass range is a little bit more even. 

Bent it to be a bit flatter along the top, bent the main section of the headband to angle around the top of my head, and then straightened out the angle on the gimbals a little bit

The HD660 has the same drivers but the added isolation and resonance makes for a lot stronger (and deeper) bass response.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Ture.
My main recommendation is still koss portapro or hyperx cloud.

But headphone that is closed and sounding very OPEN is brainwavz hm5. But it clamps very high and dont have much bass

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 14
Samson Sr950? Bigger soundstage and clearer instrument separation than Takstar pro80, but quite bass light. Made me sell my Grado Sr325is, that says something about them. There's a deal currently on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR950-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B00CBPJLFW

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 14
  Samson Sr950? Bigger soundstage and clearer instrument separation than Takstar pro80, but quite bass light. Made me sell my Grado Sr325is, that says something about them. There's a deal currently on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR950-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B00CBPJLFW

You people are killing me.  I've been looking at the HM5 mentioned in the previous post and own a Grado 325is so now I have to try out this samson too.    My wallet hates you people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back