Cheap camera recomendations
Mar 8, 2007 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
So I've always been interested in photography but never really thrown the money in for a camera. Walking around campus and anytime I am on vacation I start framing the environment and I'm sick of dreaming of what it would like and want to take action. Now is a terrible time to add another wallet-bully hobby to my list, but seeing as I have a photography project for my literature class to do, and I will be headed to "rocky mountain high" Colorado soon I was wondering if there was a good camera around two hundred dollars. It would have to be digital as I would prefer the convenience, and don't have access to any labs at the time. I know thats a meager budget for photography, but I am in college and need to be budget conscious, so I would really love some suggestions. Thanks!

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 13
So you don't need help starting a new hobby, you have already decided on the hobby and want suggestions for a camera.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 13
yes

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 13
Something like

this

or

this

or

this

will do fine I reckon. (or slighty lower version of those if they're a bit too dear). Those things when they were introduced, they were around AUS$1,000 mark (or more). So considering the price now, it's a steal.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dj_mocok, wow those are fantastic prices.

I think if you're patient and lucky, you can get them for even cheaper. Just gotta find an "upgrading" or "been sitting in the cupboard" seller, not seller who's selling because the camera got problem.

I sold my FZ20 for AUS$450-ish if I remember correctly. And that thing was still in mint condition, I threw in a 512MB Ultra II, camera bag, spare battery, lenspen, and mini tripod. The FZ20 by itself when it was new was around AUS$1,000.

Funny, I've been looking at that 8080 Olympus, and now I have this feeling of wanting it again, because a few years back it was the camera that I really really wanted but didn't have the money to buy it. That camera was so solid and when you see and hold one, you know that it's a great camera.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Mar 8, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Both are great. But if you want pure image quality (especially outdoor), 8080 is hard to beat.

But the FZ series are very versatile, and 12X optical is fun!

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 13
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ID=prod2158859

I am thinking of this camera.
The problem I am having is I don't know what to look for in terms of specs beyond simple MP numbers. What else should I consider when looking around?

I should also state that I would be mainly focuses on outdoor photography and would like good image quality

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Numbers are just numbers at times. May look great on paper but not in real life. Best way to find out is to read as many user reviews as you can and look at sample pictures, and of course, if possible, try it yourself.

But those that I recommended are really really good camera for the money.

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 13
I've been wanting to buy a digital camera as well but really have no idea about what fetures I'll want or need. It's all far too overwhelming and expensive to make a mistake. Buying a used camera with out being able to look at it yourself seems like a very bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back