Cheap Audio Technica - too good to be true?
Apr 22, 2006 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pekq

New Head-Fier
I thought I'd register and post this because I couldn't find any reference to this store http://store.whsle.biz anywhere in the forum nor on merchant review websites. But they've got some audio technica headphone like the CM7 for prices far lower than i've seen anywhere.

Does anyone have any experience with this store? They used to have an ebay store so someone might have dealt with them before. Could the headphones that they are selling be fakes? I am quite tempted but wary of this obscure store.

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekq
I thought I'd register and post this because I couldn't find any reference to this store http://store.whsle.biz anywhere in the forum nor on merchant review websites. But they've got some audio technica headphone like the CM7 for prices far lower than i've seen anywhere.

Does anyone have any experience with this store? They used to have an ebay store so someone might have dealt with them before. Could the headphones that they are selling be fakes? I am quite tempted but wary of this obscure store.

Most likely fakes. There are a lot of fake CM7s on ebay.

-- edit --

Looking at it again, the prices aren't really low so they may be authentic. Buy a pair and tell us how they are
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 22
I got this line from the bottom of the CM7's page.

Becausee supply of goods is exceptive, the item without carrying case, earphones and cable only!

eggosmile.gif
No case? No earphones? I think all real CM7 comes with a case.

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 22
Actually even the fakes come with cases...

But have a look at http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174183
The fakes are supposed to be quite good aswell, at least for the $20 they are usually sold for.

I wouldn't trust the phones to be original unless it comes with the original packaging etc. (and a high enough price tag).

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 22
well, i've bought audio-technica ath-ec7 from whsle.biz. of course, they aren't original AT phones, but still they sound WAY better than original sony buds for such price.
there is, however a little problem with my ec7 - the cord started to disintigrate (right after the thingie that splits one solid cable into two), but i guess it could also be because of me being rude with them..
so, if you want to try good portable phones being on a tight budget, i suggest you to try that shop.
good luck ^_^

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 22
Uh, I don't think the price is that good. They charge $60, bluetin.com charges $78 or so, and THOSE are original. You can get the fakes ones for around $20 on eBay. That would be a good deal again, I guess, but 60... whoa.

Apr 23, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 22
OEM is just another euphemism for either seconds rejected by A-T, or that the factory, after they've done a run for A-T, stamped out a few thousands more, using either the same parts or something cheaper, and sold it to some wholesaler to make some extra money.

The thing is that they can be good, they can be bad, but likely that they will have inconsistent quality from pair to pair. Is it worth a gamble? Maybe
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlai
OEM is just another euphemism for either seconds rejected by A-T, or that the factory, after they've done a run for A-T, stamped out a few thousands more, using either the same parts or something cheaper, and sold it to some wholesaler to make some extra money.

The thing is that they can be good, they can be bad, but likely that they will have inconsistent quality from pair to pair. Is it worth a gamble? Maybe
evil_smiley.gif

technically that's not what OEM is supposed to mean, but i agree with you on your theory of their origins.

Apr 23, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

This kind of unethical business practice sounds exactly like what is happening for some Chinese manufacturers. I would stay away from these. If you buy it and don't like it, you will be forever wondering if this is what the real thing sounds like.

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 22
I like the guess by the previous poster- that OEM might mean, a rejected headphone from the factory.

The one that I got off ebay (vendor from UK), around $20 + $10 shipping is definitely a fake. I bought a real one from micro center- and got curious about what I'd get for $30.

The fake one uses a different cable than the US- the fake one has a jack that has a silver ring painted on (the short plug is a cylindrical tube made of cheap plastic), and the metal part of the ear hook is not as smooth as the real one (it's kind of edgier- and you'd feel it cuts into your finger a bit).

The sound is about 80% as good- quite surprisingly! You almost wanted it- as most non-bass music will sound very nice. Even the real one won't have much bass. The fake one will sound less smooth and articulate- but the difference is only obvious if you have the real one to compare with.

Once you listen to how good the real one is- and I mean it is really good! All the instruments are amazingly accurate sounding- the subtlety of drums comes out!

Does anyone have a picture of the one purchased from WHSLE.BIZ?
Onus.

: differences :
* cabling- real one in US has a smooth short plug; the fake one from UK used a cylindrical plastic with a silver ring (very sharp edges on the cylinder).
* metal clip- real one has very smooth metal edges; the fake one has rough edges.
* comfort- strangely enough and it may be just in my head- the real one you can wear all day long without fatigue.. but i can't say that for the fake one.
* the rubber on the hook- the fake one is visibly shorter.
Oh, I got rid of the fake one by now- so I won't be able to post a picture of it. Sorry.

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Another thing it can mean is that somebody's got a cousin who works in the factory, and a couple boxes of perfectly good ones made their way home... you just don't know... it comes down to whatever risk/reward judgment you make... you can get real bargains or you can get junk... is it worth the risk? Everybody has their own personal answer to that question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back