Cheap Audio Solution for a Laptop
Apr 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bunit

New Head-Fier
Onboard sound on laptops isn't the greatest.

I'm getting a brand new laptop, with SRS Premium Sound, whatever that means. The chip is by Realtek I think though, ALC888 which is pretty standard.

What would help out the sound?
Both in music and gaming, so directional audio is as important as general audio performance.

I know Creative makes some X-Fi expresscard/usb things but I've generally heard bad things about them, and I know they only operate on the software level. CMSS3D is something that appeals to me however. They run at around $50-60, which is about what I want to spend.

Another option would be the TurtleBeach Micro II USB, just $30 and doubles as an adapter

Newegg.com - Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II Virtual 5.1 Surround Channels USB Interface Analog & Digital Audio Adapter - Sound Cards

I've also heard some stuff about SRS Sandbox Audio software being a possible solution. Also I've heard that optical out is significantly better, but I would be using headphones, so how would that work?

Echo Indigo is out of my price range ):

Some searching brought up the Nuforce Icon Mobile but that seems a little out of my price range.

Any thoughts? Budget ~$60. Thanks.
Going to be using JVC-HARX900 headphones. Keep the gaming aspect of it in mind.
Oh and if it matters planned laptop is the MSI GX740.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Cool, thanks.
I'll probably just buy the Micro II then for $30 shipped off newegg.
Unless the Original Micro would somehow be better? Haha that'd be strange.

Anyways thanks, Micro II here I come.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 5
DO NOT EVER GET THE CREATIVE X-FI SOUND BLASTER GO! FOR Gaming.
It only has the entertinament mode, and it screws up your directional audio TOTALLY.
How horrible of them to put the GO! at the gaming category and scam people like that..

I have a sad news for you, but in order to get true x-fi, you have the get the card, and not some fake usb thing from creative, and that cant be use on a laptop.

So your best option now is only to get an external dac.
Though it wont be as good for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back