Cheap and tough headphones - Recommendations?
Sep 9, 2005 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

carlosgp

500+ Head-Fier
I need to buy a certain number of headphones for monitoring with only three parameters in mind:
1. They have to be cheap.
2. They have to be resistant. The tougher the better. They are going to endure a lot of misuse.
3. Better if they are comfortable, but this is not absolutly essential.

Other considerations:
- Sound quality is secondary.
- Closed better than open.
- Aesthetics are not important.

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 13
I would not recomment the KSC75 if you will be using them in an active and potentially rough environment. The phones have a small plastic clip that holds the wires and strain relief in place and if they are snagged, the wires can be ripped from the phones pretty easily. I did this with my KSC 35s while playing pool and had to solder them back.

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 13
the clip and the wire on the k75 are designed to breakaway though, I'm not describing this right, but if the wire snags, the plastic earpiece clipon separates. The first time it happened to me, I thought I had broken them, until I realized they easily snap back into place.

Sep 9, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 13
AKG K55 (http://www.headphone.com/products/he...s/akg-k-55.php)

Lots of plastic - even the padding is made of it. They use these at record stores like Virgin, and they take a lot of beating.

The Sennheiser HD201 is also fairly tough. Lots of cheap plastic.

--

Sony MDR-V150 also fit the bill, although not the most comfortable. I would take them over the HD201 for durability.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 13
i don't know how the Koss KSC-75's compare to the KSC-50's, but i have a pair of broken 50's lying here
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 13
Those AKG's are tough. I have a pair that I never use and they were packed when I moved and got stuffed under a TV and survived. My nephew uses them when he visits and he's 5 and thinks they are to be used as a lasso when not on his head.

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
I need to buy a certain number of headphones for monitoring with only three parameters in mind:
1. They have to be cheap.
2. They have to be resistant. The tougher the better. They are going to endure a lot of misuse.
3. Better if they are comfortable, but this is not absolutly essential.

Other considerations:
- Sound quality is secondary.
- Closed better than open.
- Aesthetics are not important.

HD205 ?

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
Thanks for your answers. We used the akg 55 in the past but prefer to change. I think Sennheisers HD 201 are a good option. Is the pleather tough enough or it tears easily?

It's definitely not as tough as akg 55, but it won't tear easily. HD201 pleather pad feels pretty cheap, but it's comfortable.

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 13
MDRV6. Dourable as all hell when folded. Mine have endured a lifetime of abuse and they just keep going. in the event that they do break, its easy to find used pairs on ebay, or ones with blown drivers for $15. partstore.com has all kinds of replacement parts for them.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back