Cheap amp with RCA phono inputs for Sennheiser HD490?
Sep 21, 2007 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shadesbass

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a reliable desktop amp for a pair of Sennheiser HD490's. Must have RCA phono inputs and reasonable sound quality. Doesn't need to be spectacular, just clean and noise-free with a fairly flat response.

Any suggestions? Budget is up to £50/$100.

Cheers.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 7
You do realise the Red & White RCA connectors, are just left and right stereo? Same as any heaphone jack. You can get any lead combination for a few quid. Saying this, so you're not limited.

£50. A CMoy.

amp640.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmoy

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realise the Red & White RCA connectors, are just left and right stereo? Same as any heaphone jack. You can get any lead combination for a few quid. Saying this, so you're not limited.

Thanks for your reply. I do know what RCA connectors are (I work with them every day). I specifically want a headphone amp that has RCA inputs though.

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply. I do know what RCA connectors are (I work with them every day). I specifically want a headphone amp that has RCA inputs though.

Why limit yourself? RCA = 3.5mm headphone jack.

You'd want one of these:
qedj2p_white.jpg
Instead of these:
brrythm.jpg

Well, not these ones, being over £50...

As for yourself, if you must have RCAs[Why?] I don't think you're gonna get any Amp for £50.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why limit yourself? RCA = 3.5mm headphone jack.

Because it will be used for testing RCA outputs on consumer audio products, and I want a reliable connection. Direct RCA connections are much more sturdy than using an RCA->3.5mm adapter into a 3.5mm jack socket.
Thanks for your advice though. I'll look into a CMoy and the possibility of retro fitting a pair of RCA sockets.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Well, I guess you could get someone to fit RCAs in a CMoy.

It might require a bigger case, if using RCAs?

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Since it's never going to be used as a portable amp, I don't care about the case size.
I'd also prefer something that is mains powered so I don't have to think about replacing/recharging batteries.
Something like this would do, but I've known Samson gear to be a bit noisy in the past.

Has anyone used the B-Tech BT928 amp before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back