Cheap Amp for SA5000? (Around $200 - $250)
Aug 6, 2005 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone got a suggestion on an inexpensive amp for the SA5000?
biggrin.gif

Bleh, I need a tube sometime in the future, but it's not likely now.

Portaphiles? Total Airheads? SM3 Lites? Z-Audio Lambdas? Porta Corda MkIIIs?

Hopefully it's portable. (Dreams of G-Lite dies.)

I've got a SR71, but it's going away to my brother... and maybe along with
my DT880 if I think the SA5000 is better once I get it.
tongue.gif

Music style:
Industrial - Rammstein
Trance - Trance. All trance. Mwahaha.
Pop/Rock - Japanese/Korean Pop & Rock
Instrumental Rock - Apocalyptica
Classical - Requiems, Stabat Mater, etc.
Soundtracks - Gladiator, Lord of the Rings

Cheers and thanks!
Venio

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
The hornet would be out of my price range, right?
frown.gif

Its currently being offered at an 'introductory' price of $350, by Ray. I don't know what your price range is, but that is a fairly good bargain for the quality of sound it exhibits, despite being the size of a credit card.

I'm willing to wager a halfway decent m3 could compete with one, but at the expense of portability. That and the fact that you'd have to get someone to build you one, though there are several competent builders in our DIY forum.

If you want to go cheaper than that, and remain portable, there aren't too many other options. SA5K needs a fair amount of voltage and current to sound its best, and most battery-powered amps have trouble delivering.

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 19
The SA5000 are fast and cold, right? What is the M^3? Not sure if you are supposed to get a cold amp with cold headphones or a warm amp with cold headphones. I hear the Gilmore Lite is cold but neutral and I'm getting that, which leads me to believe cold for cold is good, but I some people have been saying the opposite.

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 19
Synergy isnt a black and white thing, its not about whats good or bad, its about what sounds good to your ears. Synergy for you may not be synergy for someone else, I think thats one thing thats been proved many times over in these forums. If you think your SA5ks need a touch of warmth, get a warm amp, if you like them the way they are and want to better that sound, get a cold amp.

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 19
Boom, the fog drifts in and consolidates my thoughts exactly.

The SA5s are not hard to drive. Buy them first, check out the sound, then get an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Synergy isnt a black and white thing, its not about whats good or bad, its about what sounds good to your ears

Aug 6, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 19
As a disclaimer, I've never heard either of these yet...but wouldn't the SA5000s (one of the most sterile phones around) and a Perreaux SHX-1 (one of the warmest and most musical amps around) be an interesting combination?

Aug 6, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Boom, the fog drifts in and consolidates my thoughts exactly.

The SA5s are not hard to drive. Buy them first, check out the sound, then get an amp.

My problem is that in a few months I'm going to have enough money for the amp; I've been meaning to get an amp for a while now and it'd be to be able to use my headphones with my PS2 without worrying about a lack of a headphone jack. Plus, everybody also is telling me that I should just get the amp first and get that done with before considering everything else. If I get the headphones first, not only would I have to wait an extra few months on top of the time I already have to wait to get the amp, but I would gain bad impressions of the headphones. After spending $400 on something, I would like it to sound good right away, not for it to sound like crap for like 6 months until my wallet can recover and get a suitable amp.

That said, now I'm unsure about the Gilmore Lite with the SA5000s (Now I'm getting the impressions that it won't perform as well and won't match the SA5000s' characteristics). I guess it's just the commercial quality of the Lite that had/has me attracted to it. If warm sound is what I think it is (Less focused on Treble and more laid back, a la Senns), then I wouldn't be interested in it at all and would want something cold. What opamps with the M^3 would you recommend for a fast, cold, and detailed sound for the SA5000s?

Aug 6, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 19
There are two kinds of audiophiles. The first kind tries to balance a coloration in one component by selecting an opposite coloration in another component. The second kind chooses each component for maximum transparency under the maxim that two wrongs don't make a right.

If you're the second kind then you should just buy the most transparent amp you can find that's powerful enough to drive any phones that might ever interest you.

If you're the first kind then get the headphones first before thinking about an amp. Headphones are several orders of magnitude more colored than amps, so the right approach is to understand the headphone's colorations first before attempting to balance it with an amp.

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 19
Well, there is also another reason I'm not too sure about the Lite:

Many Senn owners seem to be using it. The Senn's are supposed to the the complete opposite of the SA5000s and I also don't like the idea of "laid-back" sound, so seeing this amp being used with Senn's is VERY unsettling.

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
What opamps with the M^3 would you recommend for a fast, cold, and detailed sound for the SA5000s?

AD8610

Users who are viewing this thread

Back