Cheap (<$60) IEMs for the gym, jogging, etc.
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure IEM's are good for stationary machines and hand weights but jogging for me.. is kind of a chore.

I was thinking that same thing. I would hate to spend ~$100 on IEM's that I would use almost exclusively for running, only to find out that I'm constantly having to push them back in.
I have nothing right now so today I figured I'd try the earphones that came with my wife's nano (I bought her some cheap IEM's for work). Of course they don't create a seal but rather just kind of sit in the ear.
I did a quick 2 mile jog (always outdoors) and never touched em' once. I draped the cord behind my neck and down my back. Obviously they aren't the most dynamic of earphones but hey, I'm running, not sitting on my couch exploring the intricacies of sound. Also, the price was right.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Semisonic9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I thought they killed off Froogle! I noticed I couldn't just type in, say, "Buy Sennheiser CX300" anymore and get a rundown. I thought that seemed kind of fishy. Like people got together and said "dude...you Google guys are making it too easy to price shop! Here's some cash, now knock it off!"

Yeah, I'm an American. I'm from Florida.

I thought they just changed the name to Google Product search, even though I still call it froogle and typing "froogle.com" in the address bar still works.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 30
I just bought the Nuforce ne 7m and used them for the gym. I do about an hour of weights and 25 minutes on the treadmill and they do fine. I guess it would depend though on how the phones fit your ear. For the money these sound great too.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #20 of 30
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

I'm looking for isolation so I can keep the volume low. I'd rather exclude or reduce external sound than try to drown it out.

I'll keep the NuForce NE-8s in mind, but I'm not convinced I'm going to want to pay that 40% premium over the NE-7s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cx380, its the job it was made for

Bit high for me, but I'll keep them in mind. These are newer, I take it? Having a hard time finding reviews for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't have any experience, want to buy a pair for swimming, but what about H20 Audio earphones? They are waterproof, which you need because you sweat while you run last time I checked.

Wait. You...want to buy a pair of headphones to swim with?

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Wait. You...want to buy a pair of headphones to swim with?

LOL! I was thinking that same thing. Did not get that post at all. Figured it was a translation thing.

edit: Never mind. They make em'!
http://www.waterproofcases.net/headphones.html

That being said, you definitely don't need waterproof earphones just because you sweat.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by blag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking that same thing. I would hate to spend ~$100 on IEM's that I would use almost exclusively for running, only to find out that I'm constantly having to push them back in.
I have nothing right now so today I figured I'd try the earphones that came with my wife's nano (I bought her some cheap IEM's for work). Of course they don't create a seal but rather just kind of sit in the ear.
I did a quick 2 mile jog (always outdoors) and never touched em' once. I draped the cord behind my neck and down my back. Obviously they aren't the most dynamic of earphones but hey, I'm running, not sitting on my couch exploring the intricacies of sound. Also, the price was right.
wink.gif

Last night I ordered a pair of Yuin PK3's. Can't wait!

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #23 of 30
So its down to the NuForce NE-7m (~$50), the newer NE-8 (~$75), or the Sennheiser CX380s ($75).

Final thoughts? Are the NE-8 or the Sennheiser really worth the price premium? And how does the sound on the Sennheisers compare? I'm having a really hard time finding much reviews on them other than from Amazon.com and the Apple store. *eyeroll* Anyone got a link for me?

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #24 of 30
I know for sure that the CX380 are a sports design of the CX300. The general opinion for the CX300 are that they have muddy bass that spills into the mids. However, the CX300 I believe is supposed to be decent for its price.

Do you want bass? If yes, then the NE8 is out.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 30
omg, since when to the cx380 cost like us$75????? last i looked im sure they were like us$50,anyway yeah i think they are the sporty version of the cx55. given they look the same bar the sports colouring ie orange. btw they only like £35 in uk so maybe if u know anyone comming over or friends in uk to order them off play.com.

id say sound quality wise the nu force might be a bit better but then the cx380 is designed to take sweat and stuff and may last considerably long than the nu forces under gym conditions

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 30
During cross country/track season I ran only with earbuds/px100 in practice. IEM's were too inconvenient, but since you're in a gym maybe something cheap & easily replaceable like the JVC marshmallows will do the trick.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 30
I was thinking about starting my own thread like this one, but then I saw this one. Heh.

Anyway... I'm also a runner, and I found this thread interesting. I'm thinking about those NuForce NE-7M's.

I do have a question, though. I own a pair of Creative EP-630's (and they're mediocre for running... They stay in my ears pretty well, but there's a decent amount of cord noise [what you guys call "microphonics", right? If not, please correct me
smily_headphones1.gif
])But what's the difference between the Sennheiser CX500's and the Creative EP-630's? Besides labels, colors, and prices, of course...

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

So its down to the NuForce NE-7m (~$50), the newer NE-8 (~$75), or the Sennheiser CX380s ($75).

Final thoughts? Are the NE-8 or the Sennheiser really worth the price premium? And how does the sound on the Sennheisers compare? I'm having a really hard time finding much reviews on them other than from Amazon.com and the Apple store. *eyeroll* Anyone got a link for me?

My .02...as stated earlier in this thread, choose based on preferred sound sig, IMO. For example, if I were to buy the NE-8 which has better detail, but feel there isn't enough bass, I wouldn't be happy (compared to my other IEMs). Unless you want to carry around an E5.

And just to throw this in there, was the MX 80 and OMX80 mentioned, as they look like they will stay on the ear no while others would fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back