Cheap 24 V power supply in and around Germany
May 11, 2005 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
While I was mistaken the last time by my own all too quick measurement, an opportunity for a really cheap 24 V (DC) power supply with linear regulation for amps like the PortaCorda series just had to turn up sooner or later. Well, there it is: Thingy is called APS524, does 230 V (AC) to 12/15/18/20/22/24V and 550 mA - and you can order it for the enormous price of 3.95 Euro over there: http://www.pollin.de/shop/shop.php?c...=ODk1OTc5&ts=0

I've already received a couple of these today - first impression is quite positive, cause it's not too cheaply built. You can even open it up (provided that you have the appropriate security bit a hand) - inside you'll find the usual components, including a more-or-less no name 1000 µF buffer cap and an NS LM317T linear regulator, which is attached to a trustworthily big passive cooler. And there even is a bit of thermal grease to be seen - all for 3.95: I mean like... WOW!
biggrin.gif

Only problem for the electronics impaired might be that the voltage selector has no markings - so one should better have a voltmeter at hand for the initial set-up. In addition, one might doubt the 550 mA given the size of the transformator - I'd assume it to do 550 mA for 12 V only, and half of that at 24 V (= still plenty enough for most portable headphone amps).

Alas, no further testing on my side yet - 'cause first I now have to go digging for that *$&!*%§ angled plud Jan Meier usually provides with the PortaCorda II...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Standard disclaimer: No, I'm not affiliated with Pollin in any way.

P.P.S.: Standard comforter: Yes, I already did business with 'em twice as a customer - and so far it was free of hassle.

P.P.P.S.: Just btw, they also still have those cheap conventional 115 V<->230 V converters - 100 W for 15.95 Euro (http://www.pollin.de/shop/shop.php?c...=Njk1OTc5&ts=0 - mind you the photo is not correct, though: As stated in the German description, there's only one US outlet on the 100 W unit...), and 500 W for 29.95 (http://www.pollin.de/shop/shop.php?c...=Njk1OTc5&ts=0)

May 11, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
I've already received a couple of these today - first impression is quite positive, cause it's not too cheaply built. You can even open it up (provided that you have the appropriate security bit a hand) - inside you'll find the usual components, including a more-or-less no name 1000 µF buffer cap and an NS LM317T linear regulator, which is attached to a trustworthily big passive cooler. And there even is a bit of thermal grease to be seen - all for 3.95: I mean like... WOW!
biggrin.gif

great hint, lini, thanks! given that lm317 on board it should indeed perform better than the 10 times more expensive mascot 2083 (fixed voltage regulator with poorer ripple rejection). could you find any "protection" diodes near the regulator-chip? the mascot lacks them, which can cause some minor problems with headphone-amps that have higher rail capacitances...

May 12, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 9
BE: Alright, because my memory sucks plus I haven't got those security bits at home as well as I wanted to abuse it to check some fans for my ongoing pc case review and in order to answer your question, I took the thingy back into the office today: No other diodes except the usual four for rectification - so in addition to the already mentioned tranny, elcap, regulator and voltage selctor, there are just a handful of resistors, one more elcap and a trim-pot (Piher).

I'm pretty sure it's actually an Ansmann, btw... Somehow the design and naming scheme seems familiar...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 12, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Jun 19, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 9
i bought one of these, too. really surprisingly well made. i agree with lini, that this one seems to be made by ANSMANN. again: adjustment of the proper voltage needs a voltage-meter/dmm. the adjutment wheel on the backside covers a sort of rotary switch that gives me 5 steps from 13,5-25,8v. nice offer - take it!

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm glad you like it, too. Which reminds me, that I wanted to order some more of these...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 9, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
How do I get ac out of this? I'm only getting dc.

Uhm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
(...) an opportunity for a really cheap 24 V (DC) power supply with linear regulation for amps like the PortaCorda series just had to turn up sooner or later. Well, there it is: Thingy is called APS524 (...)

Well, as I said - it's a DC power supply. *cough* Sorry, man...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back