Cheap (£70) 'open' sounding headphone/earbud/IEM recommendations needed!
Aug 23, 2023 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

XmarX

Head-Fier
Hello folks!

I have a Topping NX4 DSD amp/dac and my main use cases are Spotify and PC gaming.
Would love an open sounding (like that of a good pair of bookshelf speakers) device and a flat frequency response.

I'm a bit partial to open-back earbuds but please reply with your suggestions. I plan to get one during the current sale (or may be wait till 11-11 sale?).

Thank you!

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Aug 25, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 12
Update: I have spotted a 'new' HD558 for £125 plus additional shipping. Is it worth it?

Yeah, you should just be looking at the HD560S new at that point. Apparently, the US received a whole lot more stock of the HD558 than the UK.

I have heard many good things about the AKG 612. If you want to look for a used AKG with a detachable cable, then look for the AKG K702, K712, or Q701. These have a huge soundstage for the price, making them excellent for medium-to-large ensemble genres and have a slew of easier mods and repairs online as well.

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, you should just be looking at the HD560S new at that point. Apparently, the US received a whole lot more stock of the HD558 than the UK.

I have heard many good things about the AKG 612. If you want to look for a used AKG with a detachable cable, then look for the AKG K702, K712, or Q701. These have a huge soundstage for the price, making them excellent for medium-to-large ensemble genres and have a slew of easier mods and repairs online as well.
Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking at the measurements without smoothing and finding AKG headphones have a very 'rough' treble. Is that a problem?
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k702/

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 12
I have heard many good things about the HD560S, but post your experiences with it. :)
I love the soundstage width. It's very very wide to my ears. The bass is good but a bit low in quantity (had to turn on NX4's bass boost on). I guess It needs some eq.
Music feels very 'real' if I can say so compared to my Galaxy Buds Pro.
Recommended IMO.

Just tried a bass-heavy track and my ears are shaking lol :D
So I guess it definitely need some bass boost or eq for bassheads.

Can't wait to play Warthunder with it lol :D
It's gonna be insane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back