Chasing the Frolic — Uncovering The Roots Of American Music
May 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:
Amen.  Really unbelievable.  Mike is not anyone's personal DJ and I don't see the benefit of saying you don't like someone else's musical taste in a thread about that particular music.  This is not American 'Classical' music either.  
rolleyes.gif
  I often find that those that dislike entire genres tend to know the least about them.

Hey all - I just wanted to hop in and address this as well. I'm always happy to field suggestions and I love trading ideas and songs. And the best thing that arose from this minor controversy was the idea that if you really want to see a review on something, nothing is stopping anyone from doing in-depth music/ album reviews. I'm doing it because I love to do the research and I'm just lucky enough to have great access to publicists, labels, artists and management because of my day job over at Ultimate Ears. This is my personal way of giving back to the community.

Music is subjective and no one has to like the same music or styles as I do. But in the spirit of artistic discovery, it is best if we all keep opinions on the positive. I want to remind us all of something very important. It is a very small world and as we've seen in other threads of mine, the artists and the engineers are reading these posts. This is a very powerful community. I know for a fact that the Chocolate Drops and Leyla peek at this thread. They are all amazingly talented musicians who are very brave to make the type of music that they make. But besides for that, they are kind people. There are real humans on the other end of the microphone. So please, let's remember that as a fundamental and share our delights and if and when there is a criticism to be made, couch it in a compliment. Otherwise - we're just being mean to the artists themselves. Making something from your soul is no easy feat. Image what the world would be like if everyone tried to be as creative as their favorite musicians.

Thanks all,

Mike

May 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #32 of 44
Hey there - I got real excited the other day when Spotify announced that you can now embed their player into blogs and posts. So this is my test to see how it works. These are 2 of my favorite songs. The first is Kissin' and Cussin' - it has a really different feel than the other Chocolate Drop tracks. And the other of I Shall Not Be Moved sung by Joe Thompson.

Enjoy!

Nope.... Bear with me. I can see the player in my editor and it works but it doesn't post. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? What a great tool to be able to embed this. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Besides for being a great way to legally share music, all artists get paid every time it plays.

May 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 44
For everyone that likes Hatian/ Creole music.... here is a great surprise. This is a very very sexy song. I can only imagine what the lyrics mean....

Gifrants

May 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Hey all - I just wanted to hop in and address this as well. I'm always happy to field suggestions and I love trading ideas and songs. And the best thing that arose from this minor controversy was the idea that if you really want to see a review on something, nothing is stopping anyone from doing in-depth music/ album reviews. I'm doing it because I love to do the research and I'm just lucky enough to have great access to publicists, labels, artists and management because of my day job over at Ultimate Ears. This is my personal way of giving back to the community.

Music is subjective and no one has to like the same music or styles as I do. But in the spirit of artistic discovery, it is best if we all keep opinions on the positive. I want to remind us all of something very important. It is a very small world and as we've seen in other threads of mine, the artists and the engineers are reading these posts. This is a very powerful community. I know for a fact that the Chocolate Drops and Leyla peek at this thread. They are all amazingly talented musicians who are very brave to make the type of music that they make. But besides for that, they are kind people. There are real humans on the other end of the microphone. So please, let's remember that as a fundamental and share our delights and if and when there is a criticism to be made, couch it in a compliment. Otherwise - we're just being mean to the artists themselves. Making something from your soul is no easy feat. Image what the world would be like if everyone tried to be as creative as their favorite musicians.

Thanks all,

Mike

With the Chocolate Drops and Leyla peeking at this thread, it is my sincerest hope that Rhiannon Giddens is flattered her pix is being used as one of my avatars on Head-Fi. Especially since I always describe avatars below in my signature. 
wink.gif
 Time for her to get back in the rotation later this week. 

200x200px-ZC-59e0c271_rhiannongiddens.jpeg

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #39 of 44
Good review! I studied a lot about the history of music in the south at school and its great to see musicians keeping the old tradition alive.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #40 of 44
My son got me Negro Jig for my birthday a couple of years ago.  I think I'll hit him up for Eden this year. I'm also glad someone explained what the C Drops are all about. Grapevine has it that they are about minstrelsy.  Glad to know that's just some people talkin.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #41 of 44
Thanks Mike for the review. It piqued my interest, and the FLAC download from Nonesuch was a breeze. What a great find and a wonderful introduction to this genre of music, and historical background. I've already listened to it twice all the way through. Thanks again!

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:
Thanks Mike for the review. It piqued my interest, and the FLAC download from Nonesuch was a breeze. What a great find and a wonderful introduction to this genre of music, and historical background. I've already listened to it twice all the way through. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for those kind words. That really means a lot. But really, the thanks goes out to the musicians and to the community for continuing to add to this conversation. One thing that I wanted to add to the thread, The Carolina Chocolate Drops got their name from a blank string band from the late 20's and 30's. The band was called the Tennessee Chocolate Drops and here's one of their old recordings.

​
For a bit more history on the Tennessee Chocolate Drops, please refer to the Travis Smiley interview with the Carolina Chocolate Drops back in 2010. Read the full interview here.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:
Please, where can I find the hi-def. digital version (WAV, ALAC...) of this album on the web? To buy, that is.

Hello there - you should be able to buy hi-def directly from Nonesuch. Did you check there already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back