Chasing my tail - new DAP advice needed
Mar 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Exapno

New Head-Fier
After trawling through all the knowledge and opinions around here for the last couple of weeks, I’m now more confused than ever. I’m looking to purchase a new DAP and fortunately, as gapless is a prerequisite my choices are limited. I guess I’m limited (as far as new/nearly new purchases go) to an iPod, a Sony running Atrac or something Rockboxed. My current kit is a Sony HD5H and an iAudio 5 with either Grado SR60’s , Senn MX500’s or Mylarone X3i’s. If I never use Chronicstage again it’ll be too soon. I’m a mac user and don’t mind iTunes but have never owned an iPod as I’ve always been put off by its popularity and been suspicious of its audio quality. Sound quality is important but I’m not sure I want to spend silly money on iMods, expensive amps and even more expensive headphones. As a recovering audiophile I’m familiar with the law of diminishing returns as far as audio and money are concerned.

So would an iPod, line out and budget amp with some decent headphones be a good start? If so, 6th gen or 5.5th gen… as I’m in the UK I can’t get one of the refurbs currently on offer in the US which is a shame as I’d like to avoid the lovely EU volume cap. Any thoughts?

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 6
You'll want to include the TrekStor vibez and maybe a used Rio Karma to your list of gapless players.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll want to include the TrekStor vibez and maybe a used Rio Karma to your list of gapless players.
wink.gif

I'll second this. Though it doesn't have major league capacity - 12gb - the Trekstor Vibez is not only a terrific sounding DAP but it supports gapless playback natively as well.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Ah yes, I forgot about the Vibez. I'd be more interested in the flash version if and when it sees daylight. As for the Karma, I'm looking for new/nearly new purchases so the Karma doesn't really qualify.

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 6
"As for the Karma, I'm looking for new/nearly new purchases so the Karma doesn't really qualify."
Don't wanna sound like a broken record or a spam bot
smily_headphones1.gif
, but there ARE nearly new karmas, already flash modded, on Ebay, sold by John Briggs:
eBay My World - number66
I've bought one, will post my impressions when I'll get it. (might take a while, Russian postal service is not exactly known for it's lighting-fast speed... more like 'pregnant snail on crutches' speed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back