Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014
Jan 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #76 of 530
I am going to attend as well. I will be probably bringing my HE-500's and I'm in the process of deciding on/getting an amp and DAC so I could bring that as well as some quality audio (I listen to alot of IDM/electronic and instrumental). Looking forward to meeting you guys and testing out some great equipment! I am also a South Carolina resident haha I live in West Columbia.

You should come join the small meet-up Mshenay is putting together for us South Carolina residents in March before the Charlotte meet, he made a thread for it. I'm in the Columbia area as well and looking forward to meeting everyone and getting the Head-Fi on lol

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #77 of 530
  I am going to attend. I'll bring Fostex TH900 + Peachtree Nova

Zomg
I am going to attend as well. I will be probably bringing my HE-500's and I'm in the process of deciding on/getting an amp and DAC so I could bring that as well as some quality audio (I listen to alot of IDM/electronic and instrumental). Looking forward to meeting you guys and testing out some great equipment! I am also a South Carolina resident haha I live in West Columbia.

Oh then I'm putting together a Mini Meet before the BIG one in April, you ought to come! There is another Head Fi member who lives in Columbia as well! 

I'd love to car pool with a few of the Other SC Guys tbh, plus there are too few of us SC Head Fi members, I think there are a total of 4 [including my self and you on me] 

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #79 of 530
Sorry - I'll be a bit more clear about the gear I'm planning to bring along...

Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies

AKG K240
AKG Q701
Philips Fidelio X1
SoundMagic HP100 (2 pair)
Audeze LCD 2.2 bamboo

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #80 of 530

Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies

AKG K240
AKG Q701
Philips Fidelio X1
Audeze LCD 2.2 bamboo

Sweet Fireflies! I used to own one. Will be curious how it compares with my Quickie+Crack. You have the upgrade tubes as well?

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #81 of 530

Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies

AKG K240
AKG Q701
Philips Fidelio X1
Audeze LCD 2.2 bamboo

No worries.  I'm kind of curious to hear the WA7 myself, as well.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #82 of 530

I am going to attend. I'll bring Fostex TH900 + Peachtree Nova

Definitely interested in hearing the TH900 after reading so much about its bass and seeing how it compares with my HD800 and HE-500.

I'm really enjoying them! Curious to hear them played through some of the amazing amps that will be represented - see how the Peachtree compares :) I may like to purchase a replacement amp some day, this meet may help in that decision. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #83 of 530
   You have the upgrade tubes as well?

No upgraded tubes.  I thought about picking them up because I heard they would brighten things up a bit, but after hearing the amp, even with my LCD, I did not want anything brightened up.  At first I was worried because of how dark everyone said the LCD was, but the top end is just fine in my non-professional opinion.  All my gear is stock except the D1 which has upgraded OpAmps.

I'm most excited to hear the TH-900 as they were next on my list of must-haves.  I came close to pulling the trigger several times but got scared off since I've never actually heard them.  I keep hearing that they sound like a better version of the D7000 which I also never heard but then I heard that the D7000 sounds like a big brother to the newer D600 (some of the worst headphones I've heard and the only pair I've ever returned.)  I'd also like to hear so nicer DACs and some LCD-XC if a pair shows up.  STAX are on my radar too of course and some Audio GD gear since I'm looking to sneak one onto my wife's desk at some point.  I'm also considering putting a tiny Schiit Stack on my kids' desks since they primarily use my Q701 and X1.

I'm hoping a few of you will be pleasantly surprised by my HP100s also.  I think if more people hear these cans they'll get a great reputation.  For $150-200 they sound great.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #84 of 530

No upgraded tubes.  I thought about picking them up because I heard they would brighten things up a bit, but after hearing the amp, even with my LCD, I did not want anything brightened up.  At first I was worried because of how dark everyone said the LCD was, but the top end is just fine in my non-professional opinion.  All my gear is stock except the D1 which has upgraded OpAmps.

I'm most excited to hear the TH-900 as they were next on my list of must-haves.  I came close to pulling the trigger several times but got scared off since I've never actually heard them.  I keep hearing that they sound like a better version of the D7000 which I also never heard but then I heard that the D7000 sounds like a big brother to the newer D600 (some of the worst headphones I've heard and the only pair I've ever returned.)  I'd also like to hear so nicer DACs and some LCD-XC if a pair shows up.  STAX are on my radar too of course and some Audio GD gear since I'm looking to sneak one onto my wife's desk at some point.  I'm also considering putting a tiny Schiit Stack on my kids' desks since they primarily use my Q701 and X1.

I'm hoping a few of you will be pleasantly surprised by my HP100s also.  I think if more people hear these cans they'll get a great reputation.  For $150-200 they sound great.

I REALLY want to hear an LCD XC! And the TH 900 :D

and the Schiit Modi and Magni or Vali would be great for the kids too imo, I like my Vali 

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #85 of 530

When I had the WA7 and EH upgrade tubes, I was using with the HD700, and I found it to be a boost in the bottom end. If it increased treble, I want aware of it. It sounds like you prefer Warner and darker sounds to your headphones. If you've ever heard the HD800 you probably found it too bright for your tastes. You'll hear the HD800 like you've never heard it before through my chain. :D

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #86 of 530
When I had the WA7 and EH upgrade tubes, I was using with the HD700, and I found it to be a boost in the bottom end. If it increased treble, I want aware of it. It sounds like you prefer Warner and darker sounds to your headphones. If you've ever heard the HD800 you probably found it too bright for your tastes. You'll hear the HD800 like you've never heard it before through my chain.
biggrin.gif

Oooh! I'm so excited :D I get to hear a HD 800! Hurray

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #87 of 530
Well, I'm not sure what I'm going todo with myself when I see everyone's gear lol. I have so little experience with any HiFi audio that I'm very curious what a "good" setup will actually sound like.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #89 of 530
  You'll find that two equally good systems can sound noticeably different.

That's part of the fun.

I know! I've heard a few variants of the DT 880 sound, and each time I try something new it's is exciting! I bet it's even more noticeable with something like the HD 800 

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #90 of 530
I'm also excited about hearing the HD800, and also about checking out the DACs and amps.

If anyone has a sealed portable headphone that you particularly like, please bring it. That's my current quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back