charging l.ion battery
Jan 21, 2005 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
for xmas I got my first dig. cam. a canon sd110. I think the shutterbug has bit.
The camera uses a rechargable lithium ion 7.2v 790mah.
The manual says to prolong batt. life it should be discharged before each recharging cycle. However some say that it should be charged before depleted.
Also can I use non canon equivalent like the sterling tec batt. which sells for 12.95 and would it be safe to use the canon wall plug charger?
Sorry if this is the wrong site for my question but the cam. is truly portable smaller than a deck of cards.

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 2
Lithium Ion batteries tend to do better if you don't let them discharge all the way before you recharge them. Partial charges will not reduce battery life. Full discharges can. One caveat--every blue moon you should allow the batttery to run all the way down in the device so that the battery meter will calibrate itself. Wide temperature fluctuations and age also reduce the life of lithiums.

As for cheap batteries, quality is usualy not a problem. Just check for some sort of customer evaluations before you buy. Personally I bought a $10 replacment battery for a Canon S400 and I like it better than the one that came with it because it lasts longer (higher milliamp rating). Also, if the battery fits in your device, it will work fine with your charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back