Charging HIFIMAN on car-9V-adapter or on other alternative chargers?
Apr 21, 2015 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ursdiego

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!

I wonder whether the HIFIMAN - devices can be charged with other DC-sources than their own PSU. I don't know for the other types, but the HM-801 uses a PSU as big as an averages notebook's charger, which is not very convenient on the go.

On the HIFIMAN itself, there is just written "DC 9V"...

However, unlike other devices, it does not just have one 9V plug, it has two.

And on the PSU we see: Ouptut: +9V, 1.0A DC AND -9V 1.0A DC.

So what the heck...? With a more mainstream-device, I would just plug in whatever other safely regulated 9V PSU and try out whether it works. However... the HIFIMAN seems to be a little different, and I do not dare just to try it out. I'm no electro-technician, so already the "MINUS 9V DC" bothers me. What is the difference between plus and minus 9V DC? Of what I measured: On one side I found 9,14V, positive at the center, and on the other side I found 9,35V, positive at the center (measurements with no load)

Here is my questions:

- Does anyone know, if a common 9V DC source can be used to charge the HIFIMAN and/or to use the HIFIMAN in plugged-in mode?

- If nobody knows it for sure: Can it be harmful to the HIFIMAN, just to try to charge the battery by plugin in other 9V DC - sources?

- As an alternative: Does anyone know of a battery charger that could charge the HIFIMAN battery outside of the HIFIMAN?

Here is a couple of screenshots of my findings:

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back