Charge pump converter?
Mar 26, 2003 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

10SNE1

100+ Head-Fier
Ran across this while researching PS design.

Anyone evaluated this as a means of creating dual 9 volt rails from a single 9v battery?

Using low ESR caps and the frequency boost option of the MAX1044 device, it looks as if you could get dual 9 volt with any ripple in the inaudible range.

Charge Pump Converter link

Mar 26, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 6
Further rambling on the web, I note also a sister product - the Max860 which can take up to 5.5v supply and provide (+) & (-) rails at that voltage at up to 50ma.

Since it also can run at inaudible switching frequency, it might be usable to run the CMOY design using 3*1.5v alkaline or 4*1.25 nimh cells.

I plan to noodle with this but it will be a low priority for now.

MAX860 data

Mar 26, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 6
interesting! quite a lot of passives to add, but still a lot less than two 9V batteries. BUT they only provide 10mA out, so they would have to be buffered, but because it would effectively be below the supply rails, you can't do that...

damn, could have been useful!!

g

edit: dammit, beat me to it on the reply!

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 6
hard to get higher current and higher V together in available chips

the "best" application for sw C chips is supply splitting - making a low Z gnd for your 9-12V single supply since the lower V parts handle the current

much more efficient than "active gnd"

for doubling 9V at more than 10-20 mA inductive switched supplies are good but not common hobbyist designs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back