Channel Islands VHP-2
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
There was a thread from December(?) about the Channel Islands Audio VHP-2 with the power supply (VAC-1). I like a lot of what has been said about this amp even though not a lot of people seem to be using it.

- How does it sound with jazz, classical, blues as opposed to high energy rock?

- What headphones seem to complement the CIAudio gear best?

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a thread from December(?) about the Channel Islands Audio VHP-2 with the power supply (VAC-1). I like a lot of what has been said about this amp even though not a lot of people seem to be using it.

- How does it sound with jazz, classical, blues as opposed to high energy rock?

- What headphones seem to complement the CIAudio gear best?

I'm still breaking-in the VHP-2 but so far it sounds great. It replaces an RSA Tomahawk and will be complimented by the CI Audio VDA-2 DAC next week. The VPH-2 provides more detail and soundstage than the Tomahawk (VHP-2 costs $100 more) and is dead quiet. I use Grado SR325i and AKG K701. I think it sounds much smoother with the 701s; it sounds a little edgy with the Grados, but thats mostly the Grados. I listen mostly to rock and some classical. The build quality is superb and I highly recommend the amp. Looking forward to trying the DAC with my iMac.

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 20
The CI amp w/ upgraded PSU is wonderful w/ jazz. I had an opportunity to test vorlon1 amp/psu combo and it matched very nicely w/ PROline2500, HD600, Grado, and RP21. At about $550 for the combo it is an steal and they look great to boot.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 20
I had two pairs of VHP2/VAC1 combo in balanced config with VDA2/VAC1. They are absolutely stunning with female vocals, jazz, pop, anything you through at it. For one thing, it's very high resolution amp with absolutely black background. The amp is ever so slightly warm side of neutral. I really liked the combo with HD580 / cardas cable.

7e4e2217qo1.jpg

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had two pairs of VHP2/VAC1 combo in balanced config with VDA2/VAC1. They are absolutely stunning with female vocals, jazz, pop, anything you through at it. For one thing, it's very high resolution amp with absolutely black background. The amp is ever so slightly warm side of neutral. I really liked the combo with HD580 / cardas cable.

7e4e2217qo1.jpg

SK138 Awesome "Small Wall of Sound." Have you listened to any classical strings, esp. string quartets?

I'm getting psyched for this amp. However, does anyone have an idea how the Little Dot MKV might compare? Penchum gave it such a glowing review.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 20
^^^ Thank you
wink.gif

Like I said before, VHP2/VAC1 is high resolution amp so it should do very well with string classical, especially with HD580 or HD600. Having said all this...the REAL concern (always) should be "source first". VHP2 (with VAC1) is very transparent to source...as much as GS-1. The king of transparency to source goes to GS-X.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

^^^ Thank you
wink.gif

Like I said before, VHP2/VAC1 is high resolution amp so it should do very well with string classical, especially with HD580 or HD600. Having said all this...the REAL concern (always) should be "source first". VHP2 (with VAC1) is very transparent to source...as much as GS-1. The king of transparency to source goes to GS-X.

As to source, I have pre-ordered a Squeezebox Duet. I will initially be playing lossless files through its Wolfson 24 bit DAC and line out. Can upgrade to stand-alone DAC later (spread out the purchases
rolleyes.gif
).

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 20
You might want to PM MaZa. I sold him one of my VHP2/VAC1 combo and he has DT880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried DT 880 with VHP-2 (or VHP-1)?

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

You might want to PM MaZa. I sold him one of my VHP2/VAC1 combo and he has DT880.

Thanks. I did.

Hey Noladaoh or others, did you order straight from Channel Islands Audio? If so, how long did it take to receive your amp, was there a lag?

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 20
CI Audio ships UPS Ground. I ordered the VHP-2 on a Monday and got it on Thursday. When I ordered the VDA-2 DAC on Monday, Dusty told me It would be built and tested Mon/Tues and shipped on Wednesday. It was and I'm scheduled to receive on Tuesday.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by noladaoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CI Audio ships UPS Ground. I ordered the VHP-2 on a Monday and got it on Thursday. When I ordered the VDA-2 DAC on Monday, Dusty told me It would be built and tested Mon/Tues and shipped on Wednesday. It was and I'm scheduled to receive on Tuesday.

That's pretty quick.

I'll be interested to hear impressions of your whole system once you get everything assembled and burned in.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noladoah,

any further impressions on the VHP-2?

Hi: I am using the VHP-2 with the VAC-1 power supply, with a Revelation Audio Labs Parable umbilical cord. This amp is dead quiet, good highs and lows with Senn HD-600's with rock. Just happens to be for sale @ $400.00 plus shipping from Canada! I am the second owner and would like to try a tube rig! Thanks, Huck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back