Channel Islands DAC - audible improvement?
Apr 7, 2005 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
At present, 90% of my listening occurs at my computer (a PowerMac G5), using an iPod as a source, running to a Supermono (yes, the prototype), to various headphones. I am in the process of re-ripping all my cds to Apple Lossless. Thereafter, I would like to listen straight from the computer and have the following in mind:

PowerMac G5's optical out -> Channel Islands DAC via toslink -> Supermacro (which I'll likely replace with a SR-71 this month) -> headphones.

My tastes in music include classic rock, jazz and country. Any comments as to whether this is more a lateral move from my current set-up? Is there some flaw/problem I'm not seeing? I've considered a higher-end DAC but it's just tough for me to justify a move from approx. $350 (for the Channel Islands) to nearly a $1000 for a Benchmark or Bel Canto. Anyone care to advocate that that jump is worthwhile?

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 14
I have never heard a high-end DAC, but I have heard an iPod and I own a CI-DAC. The DAC may sound a bit bright at times but it provides tons of detail and a much more 3-dimensional image than an iPod (or any other source I have listened to). Not a lateral move at all IMHO

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
At present, 90% of my listening occurs at my computer (a PowerMac G5), using an iPod as a source, running to a Supermono (yes, the prototype), to various headphones. I am in the process of re-ripping all my cds to Apple Lossless. Thereafter, I would like to listen straight from the computer and have the following in mind:

PowerMac G5's optical out -> Channel Islands DAC via toslink -> Supermacro (which I'll likely replace with a SR-71 this month) -> headphones.

My tastes in music include classic rock, jazz and country. Any comments as to whether this is more a lateral move from my current set-up? Is there some flaw/problem I'm not seeing? I've considered a higher-end DAC but it's just tough for me to justify a move from approx. $350 (for the Channel Islands) to nearly a $1000 for a Benchmark or Bel Canto. Anyone care to advocate that that jump is worthwhile?

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 14
At the very least your move to lossless will net you a significant improvement.

It is an almost free "mod" in a way. It just costs more of your time initially up front.

DAC's can vary, I don't have experience with the Channel Islands DAC, but I have experience with both the Benchmark and Bel Canto (I own the latter). It's still best to try to find one used.

I'm don't remember if the G5's toslink output is bit perfect and non resampled. But if it is, you should be in good shape, at least for DAC's that have some sort of PLL jitter reducing tech inside.

-Ed

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 14
Ed makes a good point, make sure the optical out is bit perfect otherwise the external dac probably isn't worth it. The CI DAC is really nice for it's price and I believe Modwright offers some mods for it so you can always get those done down the road to get even more out of it.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the help. Now, how does one determine whether the output is "bit perfect"?

Does any of the following info taken from Apple's website help?

"Optical Digital Audio The Power Mac G5 features a comprehensive set of audio capabilities not commonly found in personal computers. State-of-the-art optical digital audio input and output ports use the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) protocol over Toslink cables for connecting to devices such as decks, receivers, digital instruments, and even home theater systems.The optical digital audio ports on the Power Mac G5 support stereo optical digital audio and 5.1 surround sound speaker systems. Because optical digital audio transmits data as impulses of light rather than electrical signals, it enables true noise-free, pristine sound, eliminating troublesome ground loops. Optical digital audio specifications Input Output Data format S/PDIF (IEC60958-3) S/PDIF (IEC60958-3) Connector type Toslink optical (IEC60874-17) Toslink optical (IEC60874-17) Sample rates – External clock mode 32kHz, 44.1kHz, or 48kHz 32kHz, 44.1kHz, or 48kHz – Internal clock mode 16kHz to 96kHz 32kHz, 44.1kHz, or 48kHz Bits per sample 16 or 24 16 or 24 Signal-to-noise ratio – External clock mode Greater than 130 dB Greater than 130 dB – Internal clock mode Greater than 110 dB Greater than 130 dB Total harmonic distortion – External clock mode Less than 0.00003 percent Less than 0.00003 percent – Internal clock mode Less than 0.0003 percent Less than 0.00003 percent"

Thanks for your help.

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Thanks for the help. Now, how does one determine whether the output is "bit perfect"?

Easiest way I know is go to this thread and follow the instructions to the letter. It's very easy (download a file a play it), but the file contains some very high frequency/high energy information that can damage speakers or your hearing if you're not careful.

There's another way that involves running your digital out into a home theater receiver and playing (I think) a DTS signal. I can't remember exactly how to do it (its posted on Head-Fi somewhere) but I think if your output isn't bit-perfect it will play any DTS signal as white noise.

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd just like to add that the Power Mac G5 is a solid professional computer. I spent this morning setting one up, which is what I do a lot of, and they are great to work with. They have solid industrial design and a rock solid O.S.

I work in a TV production company and we have a lot of them, running Avid, After Effects, and a whole lot of graphics apps. The G5's are a real workhorse computer that seem to do everything as expected.

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I'd just like to add that the Power Mac G5 is a solid professional computer. I spent this morning setting one up, which is what I do a lot of, and they are great to work with. They have solid industrial design and a rock solid O.S.

I work in a TV production company and we have a lot of them, running Avid, After Effects, and a whole lot of graphics apps. The G5's are a real workhorse computer that seem to do everything as expected.

the only issue that i (as a member of my college's IT department) i have come across is a weird firmware bug in the second generation dual 1.8's, where they don't want to do a fresh install of OS X.3 off of anything but the restore disk that came with it. i have found this with a few of the 1.5 ghz powerbooks, too, including mine. otherwise the G5's are great. i would have one if i hadn't been bitten by the head-fi bug so badly.
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the only issue that i (as a member of my college's IT department) i have come across is a weird firmware bug in the second generation dual 1.8's, where they don't want to do a fresh install of OS X.3 off of anything but the restore disk that came with it. i have found this with a few of the 1.5 ghz powerbooks, too, including mine. otherwise the G5's are great. i would have one if i hadn't been bitten by the head-fi bug so badly.
blink.gif

Yeaah, computers suck!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back