Channel Islands Audio
Aug 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rare Bird

New Head-Fier
Hi All new here.
I'm very intrested in the Channel Islands Audio headphone amp & matching PSU to go with my AKG '701' headsets! Has anyone heard this head amp please?

k701smile.gif

vhp2combo.jpg

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 11
While I haven't paired my VHP-2 and VAC-1 with a K701 (yet), I am very satisfied with it powering my HD580 and K501. I listen to alot of acoustic and electric blues and I am more than happy. I think the Channel Island equipment is a great deal for the price.

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 11
i have been listening to my vhp1 with vac 1.....vda 2 source for a couple of years. listening to some tim obrien flacs as i saw this post . so warm n lush...love it

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 11
I had an opportunity to use one for about 3 weeks recently, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I'll be posting a review HOPEFULLY in the next few days.

Unfortunately, I had sold my K701's prior to its arrival (I've moved to a balanced setup). That said, it did a very nice job with Denon D5000's, Sennheiser HD600's, and AKG K501's and K240 Sextets.

I would describe the sonic signature as slightly warm, but also a bit forward and analytical too. An interesting amp...reminded me of the Audio Alchemy HPA-1 that I had for a few years. Very nice listen, and well worth considering in its price range.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 11
I use the CIA VHP-2 and VAC-1 and love the combo. I agree with all the other folks so far in this thread.

It's a high-value, no-muss-no-fuss solution that sounds really good. I like the clean minimalism of its styling, too.

I'm not a big fan of the K701, but had it early on with my CIA gear, and the VHP-2/VAC-1 worked as well with the K701 as any amp that I've ever had with that headphone.

Yes, it's odd to say, but the CIA stuff can be said to be forward, analytical, and yet slightly warm-ish at the same time. I'm not sure that I've ever experienced those qualities in one package before. Apparently I like it.
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 11
I had the VHP1 for a while and really liked it. Very clean sound with plenty of power to drive the 701s. I hear that the VHP2 is a significant improvement over the VHP1.

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Ah great what i wanted to hear, must try these then..Thanks you lot.

Re: K701, alot seem to like the cheaper AKG over the K701!

Out of the K142HD, K172HD, K242HD, K272HD...Which would be the best recommendation for the given price as i need another pair for the bedroom but can't afford another pair of K701'?

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Rare Bird, I've had the VHP-1 for a few years and based on my research, particularly the comments here on Head-Fi by greggf (thanks, greggf!!), I upgraded to the VHP-2. My impressions are similar to other Head-Fiers, i.e., more revealing than the VHP-1 and neutral to very slightly warm (BTW, the VHP-1 is no slouch - I once compared the VHP-1 to the Gilmore Lite and thought it was a draw, but I kept the VHP-1 - YMMV). I also considered other amps before upgrading to the VHP-2, but greggf compared those same amps and preferred the VHP-2. I liked the way greggf framed the comparisons and figured why should I spend more money. I have not excluded the Music Fidelity V8 and, per usual, Sam of Stereophile loved it, but I just concluded that the VHP-2 with a VAC-1 was a better fit and better buy for me. They drive both the Sennheiser 600's and 650's very well and should provide some solid bass foundation for your 701's. Sorry for the long message, but I hope that helps.

Adam

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 11
. . . since the VHP-1 is such a nice amp. I broke the power jack on mine and sent it in to CI Audio for repair and a complete checkup and couldn't bear to be without a headphone amp, hence the timing on my VHP-2 purchase. I'm closer to a tin ear than a golden ear so I don't articulate the nuances like the gifted members of head-fi, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct in finding that the VHP-2 digs out more detail than the VHP-1. My listening material is fairly tame, so someone who likes harder edged music might even prefer the VHP-1's presentation.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an opportunity to use one for about 3 weeks recently, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I'll be posting a review HOPEFULLY in the next few days.

Unfortunately, I had sold my K701's prior to its arrival (I've moved to a balanced setup). That said, it did a very nice job with Denon D5000's, Sennheiser HD600's, and AKG K501's and K240 Sextets.

I would describe the sonic signature as slightly warm, but also a bit forward and analytical too. An interesting amp...reminded me of the Audio Alchemy HPA-1 that I had for a few years. Very nice listen, and well worth considering in its price range.

Sorry for the off topic post...I couldn't help but notice one of the LP's in your "in heavy rotation" column. The Knack-Get the Knack....that album just came out of left field in era where music was splitting off into a million crazy directions. I don't think it got the play it deserved although the title track was beaten to death on AM and FM radio at the time. If it had come out 4 years later I bet things might have been quite different for the band. Am I correct in assuming it was 1978 or 79 for that release ? Seemed way ahead of it's time from a musical composition and delivery standpoint....I have that LP somewhere in a crate in storage most likely, still haven't unpacked all the LP's from the last move...
smily_headphones1.gif

That's an interesting mix of genre in your rotation...well rounded I would say
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back