Channel Islands Audio VHP-2/VAC-1 combo vs Heed Canamp?
Apr 22, 2007 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys,
I was interested in either purchasing a Channel Islands Audio VHP-2 heaphone amp/VAC-1 power supply combo, or a Heed Canamp.
How do these compare sonically to one another, and which is superior and by how much?
What is the current lowest price on the Heed Canamp and the Channel Islands Audio VHP-2, and where?
I will be listening mainly to Sennheiser HD600/650's as well as a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880.
I listen to all sorts of music.
Thanks a million!

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 5
The VHP-1 w/ VAC-1 is a GREAT sounding amp with the HD650's.

I have had mine for over a year now, and love it with Jazz, World music,and Rock. I have a Cardas cable on my 650's. Open, Full, Detailed, and VERY Musical!

The anp may be on the bright side with the 880's after a few songs, although I have never listened to the880's, I do own a paid of 325i's which sound very detailed on the VHP-1 combo, but which I listen to mostly with my PPX3 Slam to take the edge off.

I must also add that my source is a Jolida 100A Tube amp, which is a great match with the VHP-1 Combo.

Buy direct from Channel Island Audio web, or give Dusty a call>
Price is $349 for VHP-1 and $ 159 for VAC-1....
I recomend the combo for the HD650.

Enjoy!
600smile.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the VHP-1/VAC-1 combo as well. I have not compared the two amps, but I do like the Channel Island with my HD580s. Have to agree it does well with many different genres. I've listened primarily to classical, jazz, and rock with this combination.

Source is Naim CD5i.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Dont' know about the Can Amp but for the money the VHP-2 is a very good amp. It uses a unique IC, a Texas Instruments TPA6120, for current feedback rather than an opmap design. That makes it able to drive anything from Grados which are current hungry low impedance, to 650s, which are high impedance low current.

I highly recommend the VAC-1 with it for 650s as it will make a difference in the bottom end just a bit. I liked it, especially for the money, but it faces stiff competition from other amps of the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back