Channel imbalance on all my cans. Is my hearing damaged?
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Headphoneus Supremus

I suffer from slight, but constant, tinnitus due to exposure to high volumes for years playing and touring in bands but for a couple of years now I make sure to wear earplugs and keep the volume low. I take hearing-tests on a regular basis and the last time my hearing was, according to the audiogram, estimated at "normal". So I'm luckily still not in the "slight hearing loss" category.

Lately though, I notice that with every headphone I use I hear the vocals slightly off-center. They appear more to the left than square in the middle. I figured it was a flaw in my chain but I've tried several albums, several sources and all my headphones but it seems like the culprit is my right ear. I'm starting to get worried since I value my hearing above anything. 

Is there any way to prove this? Has anyone here experienced the same?  I haven't noticed a difference between left and right untill recently. 
confused_face.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Try a new amp, maybe,, or use the mono function of your music player, otherwise there are some online hearing test that allow you to check if there's a difference between your 2 ears. If you find some
thing, go to your audiologist as soon as you can, some types of damage can be reversed if treated early enough, other can be stopped from further degrading.

Quote:

Lately though, I notice that with every headphone I use I hear the vocals slightly off-center. They appear more to the left than square in the middle. I figured it was a flaw in my chain but I've tried several albums, several sources and all my headphones but it seems like the culprit is my right ear. I'm starting to get worried since I value my hearing above anything.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Hahaha thanks. That was ofcourse the first thing I did. I should have put that in the first post. :) It remains the same, so it's my right ear. Now I'm wondering what to do. Gonna go check up with my audiologist ASAP. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Have you tried putting your headphones on backwards? 

As a related question:
How far up do you spin the volume knob on your amp? If its less than 1/3 way up very few pots have really good matching. If you listen quietly (I do too) the pot rarely breaks the 1/3 spin mark: most amps have too much gain for people who listen quietly.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I was having something similar - slight channel imbalance in every headphones. I make every day longer calls with my mobile an noticed, that i am always using the same ear which was slightly numb. I am switching now between ears when making longer calls and the imbalance is gone! I dunno if its Your case, but, I'd make sure that one ear isnt exposed to loud sounds more than other.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, it may not be anything serious or permanent. If you sleep primarily on one side, that can cause wax build up in one ear that may affect your hearing. Certainly a trip to an audiologist wouldn't hurt.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 10
Sorry to the OP - if you switched the sides of the cans and still have the exact same "channel imbalance" on the same side, it is an issue with ears, not equipment. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like this is so bad that it is keeping you from enjoying your cans, just leading to a slightly noticeable difference in presentation.

Good luck at the audiologist! Let us know how it turns out.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the comments guys! Actually Nikongod said something that made me think. It might be the pot at lower volumes on my Headstage Arrow. Going to experiment with this later tonight! Also, wax build up and the statement about using your phone on the same ear every time you make a call make heaps of sense as well. Certainly something to think about. Still planned a meet with the audiologist despite these possible solutions. :) Always wanted to find out what he charges for impressions anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back