Channel imbalance in my Bada PH-1...
Jan 26, 2005 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased a Bada PH-1 from another head-fier, and while I am really digging the sound of the unit there is a noticeable discrepancy in the volume levels of the left/right channels. My hearing in my left ear is not as good as it is in the right, but I can still tell that the amp is playing somewhat louder on that side. Switching the headphones around makes this difference even more noticeable. I've tried various things to make sure it's the amp, such as playing my music monophonically and switching the L/R RCA cables (in case the problem was my source), neither fixed the problem. My old JVC receiver does not have this issue.

I would really rather not have to return this to the seller, one because I like the amp, two because the seller is a really awesome guy and I'd hate inconveniencing him if it's something simple to fix. Can anyone here give me any recommendations as to what the problem is or how I might be able to repair it?

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 8
I have just the same problem with my amp, and it's definitely because the circuit board of the amp is pressed hard against the bottom of the case and one channel gets shorted out. I haven't got time to fix it yet, maybe today, then I know for sure.

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Shorted out? I would think if such a thing were happening there would be a more significant loss of signal in my right channel. If you do manage to get this fixed, would you mind posting some info showing what you did?

Anyone else got any helpful ideas?

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 8
I have successfully fixed the issue in my amp. Shortening happened because the PCB was pressed hard against the bottom of the case as I mentioned before, and I eliminated it by filing the hole for volume control to move it a bit upper (the PCB in my amp is attached to the volume control).

My amp was new and I've noticed the disbalance right out of the box. I don't know the design of your amp, and if it was okay before there might be something else wrong with it... But it's worth looking inside the case anyway : )

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 8
It could be the volume pot, the tubes, the output stage, etc. To know for sure you would have to investigate with a multimeter and some test tones. If there is high voltage inside, however, I would instead contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, the seller stated that he didn't have any of this problem when he had the amp, so I'd assume something got jarred in shipping. What would be the most likely issue were this the case?

Also, I notice when I turn the amp on that it makes a couple of light *clinking* sounds, like the sound of two wine classes touching lightly together. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Also, is there anyone the members of this board would recommend that I could get in touch with who I might be able to send the amp to to get it diagnosed/repaired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back