Channel imbalance in headphones
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Most headphones are manufactured to a +/- 3dB tolerance. Your PM-1s though should be dead nuts on though. They cost as much as they do because of the tighter manufacturing tolerances.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 10
The range is for response imbalances. Usually the level isn't unbalanced evenly across the whole frequency range. Do you have a balance control on your amp?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 10
If it's your hearing. putting the headphones on backwards should make no difference.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Yes I do have a balance control on my amplifier. My Luxman has a regular "turning"knob which works great and is quick to adjust but does nothing to tell me how much I am compensating, my Grace Design has a "digital" menu option to change balance in 0.5dB increments.
With the Grace Design and the Oppo I would have to put an extra 1-2dB into the right channel to balance out most mono recordings, with the MrSpeakers a 2-2.5dB into the left channel. Switching between the 2 headphones results in a profound difference: A vocal that would be "left of centre" on my Oppo, would be "right off centre" on the AEon.
There is ofcourse the very real possibility tht my hearing isn't exactly dead center either, so either one of the headphones' imbalance might actually be worse. (And the other one less)
Maybe I should just use the balance dial, but it seems a bit weird to me that this is an issue with headphones in this price-range: I have many much cheaper headphones that don't have this problem at all.
At this point I have returned the Aeon and sent the Oppo in for repair so it's back to drawing board for me for a new headphone which is why I was wondering if there's any way to avoid this by sticking with certain brands or certain technologies.
Both brands make quality stuff...i wouldnt rule them out....the oppos worked fine before service right?....let them fix it.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Some people focus on small things and it becomes a burr under their saddle I guess. The balance control is there to fix it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back