Channel Imbalance caused by my own hearing? Or is it something else?
Mar 16, 2016 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

illitirit

Head-Fier
Setup :

PC > Modi 2 uber > Magni 2 uber > Hifiman HE500

I have used this setup for a while now and while I am happy with the sound quality, there has always been something off with the sound.

Everything I hear is always kind of centered to the right, most notably bass frequencies that vibrate the headphone.

Most of the time with vocal or acoustic music, I dont really notice an issue with balance.  It is once I listen to any sort of bass heavy  (EDM / Hiphop) music the headphone becomes extremely imbalanced.

Specifically because the HE500 can produce alot of bass, the headphones will vibrate when using.  Under the circumstance that the headphone will vibrate, my right ear always seems to vibrate noticeably more.

However, the weird thing is if I switch the headphone cups around on my head so that my Left is hearing my Right, I STILL notice more vibration from my right.  I have even tried a channel switcher to reverse the audio signal in Equalizer APO, and still I feel more vibration from the right.

Basically, the bass vibration is not the same on both sides, and it really bothers me.

A few things I have tried to remedy:

- Physically wear headphones opposite orientation.  L / R to R / L               //      Right still vibrates more
- Equalizer APO Reverse Channel Switch        
- Windows sound properties balance           //     I can lower the right channel a bit and the bass seems a bit more in sync on both sides, but doing this then causes vocals to be not centered.

At this point in time I can only thing that maybe its my hearing?  Maybe my left ear just doesnt hear as well as my right?  But if what im bothered with is the out of sync vibration both side is causing, it has nothing to do with my ears right?  Since I can only feel the vibration.

The only other thing I can think of is the cables.  I am on the stock hifiman he500 cable, however it seems to be in good shape.

My modi and magni are connected with monoprice cables,  Could there be a chance that the 2$ RCA cables could cause this problem?

Looking forward to replies, thanks for reading / helping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back