Channel cutting out on T-amp.
Dec 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pandasonic

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Pop Pulse T1. It's a Tripath based amp and gives great sound for the price and puts out 40 watts to each channel. However, the right channel has developed a nasty habit of cutting out once in a while; some days it goes out, some days everything's perfect. Sometimes it'll cut back in after a few seconds on its own, other times I have to pump the volume up until it does. It's driving me insane.

I've switched cables, interconnects, and moved the speakers around to isolate the problem and it's always the right channel.

I'm not an electrician by any means, but a clue as to what's going on would be much appreciated and a remedy would be much appreciated
normal_smile .gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm not sure how much you can do without some tools and electronic trouble shooting skills. Are you able to open the case? If so, look for anything awry. It's possible that you have a bad internal connection, so you might be able to jiggle something and make a difference. Use something insulated to jiggle, and don't get anywhere near the AC connections to the SMPS! I suspect you may have an opamp or the tripath amp chip failing. When the channel cuts out, blast the components one at a time with "component cooler" which is a spray you can buy at radio shack. I doubt it is a power supply problem, but if you have a multimeter, you could measure the power supply voltage on the appropriate pins when it cuts out. I assume the power supply is common between channels, but surely there are a couple of parts that aren't that could fail.

Of course, if you found a bad component, you'd have to learn to solder! I assume everything is on the same PCB , so swapping the preamp connections side to side could be a pain. If it isn't, that would help narrow down which stage your problem is in.

That is a nice looking amp. It might be worth taking to the shop. If you give up on it, I'm sure a few of us would consider acquiring the carcass from you!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back