Changing windows affects the sound?
May 20, 2016 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

headphones1999

500+ Head-Fier
So my pc decided to update from windows 7 to 10 without that i even wanted it to do so...

And since i kinda feel that the sound more "hollow" and less alive...
did anyone felt the same way when he changed to windows by any chance? i wonder if im the only one that feel this way

May 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Switched to Win10 shortly after it came out on my gaming rig. Back in March or mid-April it had another update, and that one messed around with the volume settings. I had everything set up so my games had loud SFX, low BGM, but comms through Steam Chat was as audible as SFX. The SFX only getting realistically louder than comms in the most intense situations (like a full blown defense scenario in Warframe, or  if you zoomed in on a sector of the fighting in Total War) for some semblance of the fog of war.

After that update I can barely hear my brother on the other end of the line, but my voice was too loud on his machine (Win8.1). I kept messing around on the Xonar settings. Switched to the highest gain setting, then put BGM near zero on all my games and halved the SFX just to get comms back to an audible level relative to everything else.

May 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Different versions of windows sound absolutely different, even different build of win10 there are differences. But if you are a music dedicated pc, perhaps you should first try to optimization win10 (such as turning off unneeded services).

May 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 8
  So my pc decided to update from windows 7 to 10 without that i even wanted it to do so...

And since i kinda feel that the sound more "hollow" and less alive...
did anyone felt the same way when he changed to windows by any chance? i wonder if im the only one that feel this way

Driver optimizations and Directsound/WASAPI programming perhaps? With ASIO, both OSs sound indistinguishable to me.

May 21, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 8

Switched to Win10 shortly after it came out on my gaming rig. Back in March or mid-April it had another update, and that one messed around with the volume settings. I had everything set up so my games had loud SFX, low BGM, but comms through Steam Chat was as audible as SFX. The SFX only getting realistically louder than comms in the most intense situations (like a full blown defense scenario in Warframe, or  if you zoomed in on a sector of the fighting in Total War) for some semblance of the fog of war.

After that update I can barely hear my brother on the other end of the line, but my voice was too loud on his machine (Win8.1). I kept messing around on the Xonar settings. Switched to the highest gain setting, then put BGM near zero on all my games and halved the SFX just to get comms back to an audible level relative to everything else.

I kinda have a feeling that something went wrong with the volume level but im not 100% sure yet...

Different versions of windows sound absolutely different, even different build of win10 there are differences. But if you are a music dedicated pc, perhaps you should first try to optimization win10 (such as turning off unneeded services).

what other services have to do with the sound?

The audio system was rewritten for windows 10, in theory it's better than 7 or 8.

right now i think its just different, not better...

Driver optimizations and Directsound/WASAPI programming perhaps? With ASIO, both OSs sound indistinguishable to me.

I have wasapi with foobar2000, never noticed changes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back