Changing the name/owner of a PayPal account?
Aug 3, 2007 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I created my PayPal account years ago, and at the time I didn't have my own bank account. So, the account was created in my father's name and his credit card was attached to the account. Well, I think it's about time that I put my own name on the account, but I was wondering if this is even possible? I know I can change address, but can I change the name associated with the PayPal account? If I added my bank account to the PayPal account, and then removed his credit card from the account, would the name change? Lastly, is there any risk involved in adding a checking account under my name to a PayPal account under somebody else's name (I'm worried PayPal may think that my father "stole" my bank account info because the PayPal account technically is under his name, and the bank account isn't under his name).

I'd prefer not to create a whole new PayPal account as I would like to keep all of my transactions, funds, and seller reputation score on one account. Is there any hope?

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 6
The only way to know for sure is to give PayPal a call. The CS representative I spoke with today seemed nice.

Go to http://www.paypal.com. Click Contact Us near the bottom of the page. Click Service Center under the Help By Phone link.

It's toll-free and for the most part you'll be navigating through a menu system with voice recognition (pretty cool). When you get to a point where they offer you "Agent" as one of the recognition terms, say that and you'll go right to a representative.

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Agree with above. I had to call them last night. I prepared food and stocked water, expecting a hold time that would necessitate the stores. My pants damn near flew off when a CSR came on in less than a minute.

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd prefer not to create a whole new PayPal account as I would like to keep all of my transactions, funds, and seller reputation score on one account. Is there any hope?

I would hope they don't let you keep all the seller reputation scores with a different name...that's an invitation to fraud by others less scrupulous than you.

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hope they don't let you keep all the seller reputation scores with a different name...that's an invitation to fraud by others less scrupulous than you.

Yeah, that makes sense...d'oh!

My concern with trying to contact them is that I'd have to give them my PayPal account info so they know who it is asking the question, and I fear that if they grow any suspicion (trying to add a bank account that doesn't belong to you to your PayPal account could sound fishy) that my account may be locked (and I have some money in my PayPal balance that I definitely don't want to lose...). I think we've all heard the horror stories of PayPal accounts being locked for no apparent reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back