Changing Taste Buds on Your Musical Palette
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JoeDoe

Headphoneus Supremus
So. Since getting into head-fi, have you noticed that your sound signature preferences have changed? I have big time.

Since joining up in April, I was a deep V-shaped signature guy. Loved my bass and treble and didn't care what the mids had to offer. Favorite IEMs? Sony MDR EX210 from Best Buy. Definitely a V-shape, with a dark cloud!

But thanks to the wonderful people here at head-fi, I've sense owned/auditioned at length over 50 pairs of headphones, 20 or so of which, have been IEMs. And now I can admit that my signature preference is much different. 

As of right now, my favorite IEM is the TDK BA200. It's a mid-centric/neutral dual-BA that has a tiny mid-bass bump and decent treble extension. Talk about a totally different flavor!

I can't imagine that I'm the only person who has had this experience. Please share yours!

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Joe,

No question that since I found the black hole for my wallet known as Head Fi my signature has changed. I had the Bose MiE2i with the lovely BLOATED bass. Then I joined Head-Fi and I also tried a number of headphones and IEMs first settling on the mid centric SE535 and the more referenced Westone 4r to my current SE846. I enjoy now a more balanced sound and actively dislike the old V signature. It honestly is difficult for me to listen to my car stereo (unfortunately another Bose) in my Panamera as all I hear are the vocals drowned out by the bass.

Just as my sound preference has changed so has my musical tastes. While I remain a progressive rock junky because of the midcentric flavor of my IEMs I find myself listening to less Rush and Yes because I dispise male alto/falsetto voices to more smooth vocals and piano.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Joe,

No question that since I found the black hole for my wallet known as Head Fi my signature has changed. I had the Bose MiE2i with the lovely BLOATED bass. Then I joined Head-Fi and I also tried a number of headphones and IEMs first settling on the mid centric SE535 and the more referenced Westone 4r to my current SE846. I enjoy now a more balanced sound and actively dislike the old V signature. It honestly is difficult for me to listen to my car stereo (unfortunately another Bose) in my Panamera as all I hear are the vocals drowned out by the bass.

Just as my sound preference has changed so has my musical tastes. While I remain a progressive rock junky because of the midcentric flavor of my IEMs I find myself listening to less Rush and Yes because I dispise male alto/falsetto voices to more smooth vocals and piano.

Knew I wasn't the only one! 

My musical tastes have also changed. I've always had pretty diverse tastes in music, ranging from old-school hip hop to classical to heavy metal. However, since I've been exposed to better audio source material and equipment, I've started appreciating more nuance-heavy forms of music i.e. jazz, bluegrass, and prog. I love putting on Ellington or Buddy Rich on vinyl just to hear the subtle things those monstrous musicians did on their respective instruments. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I think this happens in general in this hobby and other things. If you look back at things you liked a few years ago or even a few months ago you may not like them now. That's definitely the case for me. Prior to this hobby I had some CX300 and I thought they were amazing mostly due to the obscene amount of bass they had. Since then I've had my preference lie towards neutrality and more recently something with a bit of warmth added to that neutrality. The genres of music I listen to have also changed and music that I never listened to a few years ago I really enjoy now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back