Changing musical tastes?
Jul 19, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #16 of 29
but that's only because it should be the age of 10 and not 12.
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I think that a lot of the issue is tied up in what memories are evoked by some of the older music.

That says it all for most of the older music I listen to. But then you go with what you know and may be less prone to experiment now with new music as you did back then.

Jul 20, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 29
When i now hear those 'golden oldie' pop songs from the past,
that used to loathe I do indeed get get a wave of nostalgia..
I remember the exact feeling of loathing I had all those years back
evil_smiley.gif

In truth my tastes are probably getting more diverse not less,
I just love music
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

There is just so much material available these days
biggrin.gif
and just so
little time
frown.gif
mad.gif

Setmenu

Jul 20, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 29
I'd like to hear some of your space/ambient reccomendations. I listen to alot of Roach, Rich, Stearns, Hearts of Space. I'm always interested in new ones...

Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Yep, thats me. I'm 38, and still listen to my favorites from the 70s and 80s, but over the past 10-15 years I have slowly evolved into a new realm of music. I have always liked classical, but listen to it more often. I'm really into space/ambient, and the past year I have started to get into downtempo. I think a lot of the music today sucks, and I cannot stomach top 40, rap, or any of that MTV ****. IMO, there is very little creativity in todays mainstream pop music. There are too many musicians (if you want to call them that) ripping off one anothers sound/style, so everything sounds alike....****...I'm sounding like my dad did about 25 years ago
eek.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 29
Most of the music I listen to now I started forming an interest in only a few years ago. I listen to some older rock, but that's about it from before I discovered industrial and EBM. I tend to listen to the more electronic-sounding stuff most of the time, and only 5 years ago I would have considered most of the stuff I listen to know as too "hard" to listen to.

I can't stand to hear country, almost all top 40 pop, so called "alternative" music, [c]rap, and just about anything else they play on the radio. And oldies, I really dislike oldies. The vast majority of the time if it's older than I am it's too old for me.

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
I'd like to hear some of your space/ambient reccomendations. I listen to alot of Roach, Rich, Stearns, Hearts of Space. I'm always interested in new ones...

I listen to Roach and Rich as well. Others I really like are Bill Douglass, Coyote Oldman, Al Gromer Khan, David Arkenstone, Brian Eno, Ishq, Steve Halpern, Sheila Chandra, Michael Stearns. Of course, these are not all space/ambient, with some getting into cultural/accoustic, and ambient-trance. Actually, listening to this kind of music has led me to trip hop/downtempo, an area that I am really starting to enjoy (new excuse for buying more cds
wink.gif
).

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #25 of 29
I finally got Roach's Mystic Chords and was dissapointed especially after all the hype. There's some new stuff on it though. I also forgot Patrick O' Hearn. If you like him as well you should try & find David Helpling's Sleeping On The Edge Of The World & Between Green & Blue. Ditto on Al Gromer Khan & Eno. Apollo is my favorite. There's a couple there (Ishq/Steve Halpern/Sheila Chandra) I haven't heard of so I'll give those a try!

Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
I listen to Roach and Rich as well. Others I really like are Bill Douglass, Coyote Oldman, Al Gromer Khan, David Arkenstone, Brian Eno, Ishq, Steve Halpern, Sheila Chandra, Michael Stearns. Of course, these are not all space/ambient, with some getting into cultural/accoustic, and ambient-trance. Actually, listening to this kind of music has led me to trip hop/downtempo, an area that I am really starting to enjoy (new excuse for buying more cds
wink.gif
).

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
I also forgot Patrick O' Hearn. If you like him as well you should try & find David Helpling's Sleeping On The Edge Of The World...

Really! that one sounds almost identical to vintage O'Hearn (Trust, Indigo)

Quote:

Ditto on Al Gromer Khan & Eno

Al Gromer Khan is very prolific, and his works are not consistent in quality. Space Hotel is definitely a classic, as are his two albums under Hearts of Space (Black Marble and Sweet Fire and Mahogany Nights). Tantra Drum is more upbeat, but a tad less innovative than the above. I think you can stop after these four unless you happens to be a big fan.

For Eno, check out this thread

Jul 27, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #27 of 29
Yep... you're right about Khan. KHAAAAAAAAN!!!
wrath_of_khan_stills_02.gif

I am rather dissapointed in Michael Stearns as of late. He's doing more commercial work instead of musical work. I'm sure he's busy adn paying the bills, but I'm finding his section in the record stores are dissapearing. That and his website hardly ever gets updated.

Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
Really! that one sounds almost identical to vintage O'Hearn (Trust, Indigo)

Al Gromer Khan is very prolific, and his works are not consistent in quality. Space Hotel is definitely a classic, as are his two albums under Hearts of Space (Black Marble and Sweet Fire and Mahogany Nights). Tantra Drum is more upbeat, but a tad less innovative than the above. I think you can stop after these four unless you happens to be a big fan.

For Eno, check out this thread

Jul 27, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 29
For about 15-16 years I rarely listened to music. My favorite recordings were Holst, Mozart, and Michael Jackson. Then I started listening to some popular stuff, MTV type stuff. After coming to college I experimented with so many genres I can't even remember all the cd's I have owned. Many tried and forgotten. Nowadays I've pretty much realized that the very best music is by those famous composers whose names demand immense respect. I still experiment with new genres and new styles but nothing I have ever heard has been better than Bach, and other than Bach nothing better than Mozart, and other than them nothing better than Beethoven. After that, it's a little more questionable, but those three, undoubtedly are the greatest composers I have had the pleasure of listening to.

Jul 27, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #29 of 29
Something i find a little odd is that during my high school years i had a strong interest in many classical composers such as Mozart in particular and Bach, Beethoven and many others...Now however my interest in classical music is at an all time low...i would have thought i would find classical to my liking now but it simply isn't happening...i do like contemporary full orchestral music more so now than previous which seems to fall generally inline with my favoring instrumental music more so than singing now days...I let the ebb and flow of my musical tastes take me where ever it goes....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back