Changing filters in the ER-4P's - is this such a crazy idea?
Nov 24, 2006 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I am soon about to own a brand-new set of ER-4P's - my second time around with these great-sounding IEM's. My first pair suffered from the cracked transducer stem syndrome, which was a bit of a problem with many owners and seemed like a design flaw. In reality, the neccessity of frequent filter changes causes the situation as there is slight pressure exerted on the tube's walls and, after enough changes, they simply crack because of the tool.

My ongoing earwax is more to blame, here, as it tends to get mess band clogs those teeny green filters on a regular basis.

So, I am thinking that there might be a simple solution to make sure there is no excessive pressure on the stems when I change filters - how about taking a set of needlenose pliers and slightly pinch the stem, so there can be no wear/tear on the plastic walls as the filter tool is pushed into the chamber? The key would be to be very gentle with the pliers, or the stems would easily snap.

Maybe there is some sort of clamp I can place on the end of the tubes, something that exerts a bit of pressure but not enough to be a worry for breaking it. Too bad there wasn't some way of reinforcing the plastic with some kind of material to make it more durable.

Nov 24, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 17
Is it really that hard to remove the filters? I found they came out rather easily on my old er6is. In fact, they would sometimes come out with the tips when I removed them. Putting extra pressure on the stems doesn't sound like a great idea, but perhaps I'm interpreting your suggestion wrong.

In any case, isn't there something you could do to deal with the ear wax getting into the filters? How often do you clean the tips?

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 17
No - they are easy to replace, it's just the action of pushing the tool into the tubes exerts pressure on the plastic and it breaks after enough changes. If not for changing filters, these would last virtually forever.

Nov 24, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 17
The ER-6i filters are much easier to remove, as they almost fall out by comparison.

Nov 24, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the action of pushing the tool into the tubes exerts pressure on the plastic and it breaks after enough changes.

I don't find this to be true. When I screw the tool into the filter I'm exerting very, very little force - single digit grams, I'm sure. And pulling the filter out and putting a new one in are likewise low-force operations: perhaps low double-digit grams.

I recall d_wilson of Etymotic stating (I'm not sure whether it was here or on HeadWize) that the stem cracks were due to a bad batch of plastic, and I believe he's also stated (again I'm not certain where) that Etymotic will replace cracked transducers whether within warranty or not, since they feel this problem just shouldn't happen, period.

Anyway, I'm a pretty frequent filter changer (whether because I'm especially sensitive to the "starting to clog" changes in sound or because my ears exude especially large number of clog molecules, I don't know), and in 3+ years of use have no stem cracking at all.

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 17
I'll have to take Mr. Wilson at his word, then.

Just got these, today, just refamiliarizing myself with them. They certainly outperform the ER-6i's, which I just sold, and the detail and transparency are mind blowng. I can also reaffirm how good my MZ-NH1 sounds with high-end phones as I can get the most from the HD amp with the 4P's.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 17
I just got a pair today too, and at first I was really worried -- no bass at all; very tinny. I knew the seal was important so I browsed the forums for a bit and tried to get a good fir. Finally got them inserted right (up into the ear!) and I'm blown away. Such clarity and precision! Proud new member of Team Ety
etysmile.gif
glad to be aboard.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are ety's the only one with filters? Is so, why?

My Shure e4s have filters in them too. Probably to protect the drivers but that's just my guess.

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant was that they were so easy to remove that I never even bothered to use the tool.

The ER6i's filters don't fit the same way as the ER4 ones. The ER4 filters are actually embedded within the stalk/barrel whereas the ER6i filters rest on the tip of the stalk/barrel.

Here are pictures of the ER6i and ER4P stalks when I had them both awhile ago:
er6ivser4pflange800x6003la.jpg

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Shure e4s have filters in them too. Probably to protect the drivers but that's just my guess.

Thats strange. There were never ones on the e3c's. And as far as I can tell, I don't think the E500s have them either. Did the e4's come with filters to switch out?

Edit:
I don't think the e4's have filters (unless I'm missing something not mentioned on the website description). As far as I can tell, only ety's have these "frequency response" changing filters.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats strange. There were never ones on the e3c's. And as far as I can tell, I don't think the E500s have them either. Did the e4's come with filters to switch out?

Edit:
I don't think the e4's have filters (unless I'm missing something not mentioned on the website description). As far as I can tell, only ety's have these "frequency response" changing filters.

They do have filters. But the filter is not like the Ety filters. The whole nozzle thing where the tip goes on, comes off (filter inside) and can be replaced.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do have filters. But the filter is not like the Ety filters. The whole nozzle thing where the tip goes on, comes off (filter inside) and can be replaced.

Hummm...Learn something new everyday.
280smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 17
I don't know if apnk implied this or not, but the E500 definitely has filters. Look into the stalk/barrel and you'll see a white-ish coloured filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back