Changing cables on high end Grado Cans?
Mar 16, 2007 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone have experience with the change in sound of the high end Grado cans with different cables? I'm likely going to buy some GS1000's and am wondering about the cable. There are not as many threads about upgrading cables on Grado's, probably since it involves opening them up and soldering new cables on - not a simple plug and play. Moon Audio offers a package for GS1000 with a Silver Dragon Cable, and I've already got a nice Cardas cable on my Senn HD650's which I could keep and have installed on the Grado's. Or, I could of course just use the stock Grado cable.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think you can recable the woody Grados. . . . Wouldn't it ruin the earcups? I think you have to buy the ones that were built with an aftermarket cable initially, e.g. the ones offered at Moon Audio.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 5
rs1smile.gif
I think it should be able...
It just takes a lot off courage!
icon10.gif

And if you do that, install connectors on the wooden cups so you can change cables at will in the feature.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not asking whether they can be changed, but who has heard the Silver Dragon or Cardas compared to the stock cable. In other words, is it worth it to "upgrade" a Grado cable. The Moon cables are in fact installed at Grado.

I like the idea though of installing connectors for cable swaps.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 5
I wouldn't mind having connectore on them so I could use a longer cable.
I know there's an extension cord for it but I don't like extension cords...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back