Change in HD-280? (pics)
Jan 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

s3r

New Head-Fier
Around June of last year my HD-280 headband broke after about a year and a half of faithful service. I had them replaced under warranty.

But... my newer set has never sounded quite the same as my last set. They sounded ... drier. After I blue tak modded them, a friend of mine (who got his a few months/year? after I got mine) brought his over to compare, and the sound was different even between those. They'd both had a couple hundred hours of use/burnin at this point, and the difference was beyond what the blue tak had done to my set. When I got my replacement set, they sounded like my friend's set.

I just got around to tak modding my new set, and as I was taking them apart I've noticed a few differences. It was my understanding that the headband had been updated (it didn't appear so) but I had never heard of driver updates. Well, here are pics.

First, the outside of the earcup, behind the padding.
Old:
oldcans01.jpg

New:
newcans01.jpg

Second, the circle on the middle of the driver seems to be raised.. the circle itself is more clear on the above pictures, these pictures don't show it well. I might be mistaken, but I don't remember (and it doesn't seem in my old pics) that circle being raised.
Old:
oldcans02.jpg

New:
newcans02.jpg

Lastly, the most obvious, the driver setup is obviously very different from the inside:
Old:
oldcans03.jpg

New:
newcans03.jpg

(1600x1200 versions of all of the above can be found here, obviously the -big versions)

It seems like a really audible difference to me and I've never liked the new cans quite as much as the old. I'd also point out I made it a point to burn these new ones in very quickly, they've easily got 500+ hours on them of playing assorted music (mostly loud rock/bass heavy types) at higher-than-comfortable-listening volume.

So has anyone else noticed the change in sound? Has this been discussed before? I had read about the change in headband so as to prevent breaking again (which, from the outside, they look the same) but nothing about a driver change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back