Change amp or headphones?
May 20, 2004 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DeepMaroon

New Head-Fier
The amp: headsave mint T
The phones: hd580's

The mint T doesn't seem to do much for the 580's. That being said the 580's seem too laid back and not enough bass for me. I use them for listening to rock/alterative music and computer gaming. Should I switch to grado type phones? Will the mint T power them sufficiently? Or will say a Xin Super Mini make the hd580's a bit more bassy and aggressive.

May 20, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 17
Source: Gmini 120 mp3 player and audigy 2 nx soundcard on the comp.

I really don't know what an upgraded cord would do for it. Figured it would be throwing money at a lost cause. What I do know is that I can't tell any difference in sound what so ever with the mint amp on those phones.

May 20, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 17
MP3s obviously aren't a great source, and neither is an audigy - neither can bring out the quality of your cans. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to upgrade your source first, then your amp, and last your cable.

Edit - sorry, I forgot the customary "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet"
wink.gif

May 20, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 17
580 ....you listen to rock ..
maybe a cable replacement ..and a portable pimeta or at least a porta corda II amp.
try some research ..

Before registering to this site Jude should make sure every member read and agree with an "attention to disappearing wallet and degrading life style " normative

May 20, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 17
If you're not planning to get a better source/amp I would say you're better off getting other headphones. If you listen to quite a bit of rock there are better headphones for that without having to empty the bank-account. Just do a quick search for rock headphones and you should get a lot of info about Grados etc.

May 20, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 17
Thx., Guys.

My klipsch promedia's sound pretty good hooked up to either source, at least alot better then the cans. The audigy is good for gaming...

Got any cable suggestions (what kind, where to buy)?

May 20, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMC
If you're not planning to get a better source/amp I would say you're better off getting other headphones.

I don't care which one I change -amp/cans. I'm just looking for suggestions from those who would know
k1000smile.gif
as to what I should do.

May 20, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepMaroon
I don't care which one I change -amp/cans. I'm just looking for suggestions from those who would know
k1000smile.gif
as to what I should do.

I was mainly thinking about how much you are willing to spend. You should always include what budget you're working with or else you're guaranteed to get a lot of expensive suggestions
wink.gif

May 20, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Do you like a laid back sound? Because I don't think the soundsignature of your headphones is gonna change much. From what I read it can sound a lot better with a good source, amp and replacement cables but it will still be a laid back headphone (I haven't heard it myself so I'm just repeating what I've read.)

I have a Headsave Mint and a pair of Grado MS1s and the Mint powers it pretty nicely. The MS1s already sounded good straight from most anything you plug them into but the Mint makes the sound fuller and you get more bass.

I'd recomment changing your headphones if you want a more "in your face/on stage with the musicians" sound.

May 20, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I have a Headsave Mint and a pair of Grado MS1s and the Mint powers it pretty nicely.

I was looking for a price on the ms1's but I dont see them listed anywhere. Where did you get them at?

My dealtime.com search result came up with a $702 pair of rs-1's. Until I realized they weren't the MS1's, I said !#@$*! she must be out her mind!!!

May 20, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 17
May 20, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 17
I think a cable upgrade for the 580s is about the last thing you need right now. From your description, I'm not sure you'd be happy with the 580s even when a better source, amp, etc. I think the was cost-effective option to switch (not upgrade) to more aggressive headphones.

May 20, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepMaroon
The mint T doesn't seem to do much for the 580's. That being said the 580's seem too laid back and not enough bass for me..

You may want to think about AT A900's, HD 555/595's or Grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back