Challenge: Talk Me Out of Beats Studio
Dec 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #16 of 39
Yea they should be pretty good for the genres of music you plan on listening to. As a young person myself, I would much prefer to wear beats out in public than many of the uglier looking alternatives. If you don't like them, you won't have a problem selling them to get your money back. They sell well on ebay.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 39

Quote:
That Bose crack was just to get a rise out of us, wasn't it?  Ha!  For half-price, give the Beats a try and see if you like them.  If not, sell them at a profit and try something else (maybe the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b, Sennheiser PXC450, or Beyerdynamic DJX-1 (even less $$$).

At least you're getting my humor! The phones you suggested sound good, but as far as remote and mic I don't think the AT's do, nor do the DJX-1. Aaaaaaand those Sennheisers are pretty huge, and expensive!

I checked out the Holiday Gift Guide (really an amazing piece of work, check it out if you haven't yet) and if not for the money I'd definitely pick up a pair of Sennheiser MM 450 Travel. They seem totally awesome. Alas...I'll update this thread with what I think of the Beats and whether or not I end up keeping them. I checked out a vid and I'm definitely going with the SILVER Beats, because they look totally awesome. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
For half-off, go for it. They're good looking, isolates reasonably well, and definitely keeps the ears warm. Plus you can always sell em for a profit.

Honestly i find them good looking when standing on the floor or on a table but when you see someone wearing them, that's another story.Seing someone from front with those on the head they really look like super ugly....

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #19 of 39
The SQ is my only issue with those headphones, the features are rather convenient and unfortunately there aren't any better sounding alternatives available that I know of in that $150 price range.  Hopefully you enjoy them.

Quote:
I was actually just hoping there was a better alternative for the money that I didn't know about and that somebody would suggest. But after perusal of the '96 portables' as well as others, I think in the price range it really will be tough to find something better. I'm going to buy them (white or silver I can't decide) and try them out. If I don't like them I'll sell them and hopefully not have to spend too much to upgrade to the Bose QC 15's. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #21 of 39
The Image One doesn't really sound any better than the Studios, and doesn't isolate as much. But the NC in the Studios is much less effective than I'd like it to be. It really only isolates as much as my Phiaton PS20's, which are a half ear design, so less isolation than the Coppers have.

You could see how the Fidelio L1's are, but I'm not too hopeful about the isolation. Isn't there an adapter that does that iPhone stuff?

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
Buy them for 50% off.

Sell them on eBay for a profit.

Spend the money on good headphones, not a marketing campaign.

I like your thinking, EK.

EDIT: My recommendation is to get some ATH-ANC7s. Sound way better, are comfortable, better built, with good NC capability. You may be able to get them for a steal off ebay (I got mine for $50). The only thing is they won't work for the iPhone as they don't have a mic but whatever. I personally couldn't wear a pair of Beats even if the 'price was right' because they, bottom-line, insult their customers. But that's another story.  

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 39
Go for it
o2smile.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #24 of 39

Yep as Dre says

Maybe not, but if you listen really carefully you can hear Dr Dre say

'Cha ching!' 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #25 of 39
Just so you all know, I bought a pair of the Bose because they were on sale. Tried them a few days, they sounded nice but I realized they wouldn't work off battery power, even just as headphones, so I took them back. Now I'm broke and have no money to spend on these things!

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #28 of 39
Personally I think beats look really silly and people wearing them look silly but that is my opinion... For on the go I would buy some nice IEM

I would imagine when Dr Dre isnt on camera or in public under his marketing contract with beats... He probably uses better headphones for production / monitoring purposes or maybe some studio monitors from a GOOD brand like dynaudio not monster lol...

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #29 of 39
Feb 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #30 of 39
Jump on them.  Contrary to what anyone on here may tell you, $150 are exactly around what they're worth when you look at the built in amp, extra iphone cable, active noise canceling, case, and decent sound.  There's not another headphone out there that brings all those things to the table for that price, believe me I've looked.

I use to own the Beats Studios in which I paid $150 as well.  They do very well for Hip Hop and R&B.  The problem they run into is when you want to listen critically to anything with live instruments.  You just won't be able to hear the mellow instruments because of the extra bass and small sound stage.  But for most other tracks, they were pretty good.  I used them for about a year and just sold them a few days ago for $225.  I recommend you do the same, they have a great resale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back