Chaintech RMAA results (using E-MU ADC)
May 26, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #16 of 26
The results are pretty decent
tongue.gif

There are a few reasons to get another card

1) driver simplicity
2) you may need more features

I can deal with #1

#2, I still use an RME. has >48khz wavout, non-resampled wavout, GSIF driver support. So I use it for audio editing and movies although I send the output digitally as ADAT to the Emu.

May 26, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 26
O.M.G. I had just about talked myself out of buying an emu card thinking that it couldn't possibly be all THAT much better than my revo...That is SICK.

May 26, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
O.M.G. I had just about talked myself out of buying an emu card thinking that it couldn't possibly be all THAT much better than my revo...That is SICK.

It's definately that much better than the Audiophile...
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 26, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 26
ooheadsoo, you didn't think you'd escape that easily did you?
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Nothing new around here...
biggrin.gif

I'll probably still put off upgrading, but those RMAA results from the Emu make me dizzy. Especially IMD and THD... mind blowing. That has got to equal or beat many high-end standalone CDP's.

Well, I gave Win2k a try, on an old 15gig HD... I'm impressed, it's very fast (faster than 98SE), but unfortunately the problems I expected surfaced (mainly software compatibility and learning curve). I can't even restore my 98SE .QIC system backups under Win2k, arrrrgh. What was MS thinking to make the backup utility incompatible with the one in Win98SE? Anyway, maybe I'll switch to Win2k sometime in the future, but for now I find it too annoying and won't be installing it on my main hard drive anytime soon. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't
tongue.gif

P.S. sorry for going off-topic.

May 26, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Well, I gave Win2k a try, on an old 15gig HD... I'm impressed, it's very fast (faster than 98SE), but unfortunately the problems I expected surfaced (mainly software compatibility and learning curve). I can't even restore my 98SE .QIC system backups under Win2k, arrrrgh. What was MS thinking to make the backup utility incompatible with the one in Win98SE? Anyway, maybe I'll switch to Win2k sometime in the future, but for now I find it too annoying and won't be installing it on my main hard drive anytime soon. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't
tongue.gif

P.S. sorry for going off-topic.

LOL, I'm stuck in the other boat, I go nuts everytime I have to try and work on a system that is running 98 or ME... Trust me, 2k is a much better OS. BTW what on earth are you running that you're stuck with 98?

May 26, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 26
Update - I'm kick'n... I'm now running a dual boot Win98SE/Win2k setup!
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. what am I running? Some older utilities for Win95, mostly... I also still use DOS batch files pretty regularly. I'm probably gonna gradually switch over to Win2k now that I'm dual booting, this makes it easy. I'm also "future proofed" for new hardware, at least for awhile (until MS drops support for Win2k to force businesses to upgrade to XP, which they will).

I've had zero problems with Win98SE, but realize most people don't have it so good. Most of it is in knowing what to tweak and how to tweak it.

May 26, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I still use an RME. has >48khz wavout, non-resampled wavout, GSIF driver support. So I use it for audio editing and movies although I send the output digitally as ADAT to the Emu.

I use the EMU alone for movies,and it sounds great.How can using RME with it improve the sound?

May 26, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 26
The audio, while playing your movies, goes through kmixer which degrades the sound. That's why when playing music, an app which supports kernel streaming or ASIO to bypass kmixer is preferred since it's a pure signal (and better quality). Since there's no movie app equivalent, using a soundcard which doesn't resample in WaveOut (the RME) wouldn't have that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back