Chaintech Installation (QUICK HELP NEEDED)
May 5, 2004 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheBigDu

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am currently trying to install my AV710 and am having some problems. I don't know if it's me being a moron or a legitimate problem. But here's what I did:

Before I even put the card in, I did the mod that Steponovich suggested (switch jumpers under U14 chip). One thing I did notice is that the picture from his recent review of this card and my card do not look identical: the green and black jumpers are switched, but I'm assuming this makes no difference.

I then turned on the computer and installed the VIA drivers. Windows appears to be reading it all properly, but I can't get crap to come out of any of the audio outputs on this card. What's the deal?

I've now uninstalled kxdrivers for my Audigy card as well, so the Envy (Chaintech) is the only card I have installed on there right now, and still no sound.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Brian

EDIT: My jumpers were originally in the position on the two pins farthest away from the end of the card with the outputs/inputs. I moved them towards the inputs. Should I have them away from the inputs?? (Should they be in the red box or the yellow box in the picture below?) Thanks.

av710.jpg

May 5, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Those jumpers don't matter much, either way will work.

Which version of Windows? Which drivers did you use, 1.43 or 3.02? Either is Ok, but the Via Audiodeck is different. What Audio program are you using?

Does the Windows control panel show the Envy as the preferred sound device?

In audio deck, switch the card to 2 channel hi-res mode, then use the bottom output jack, that is, the one nearest the square connector.

May 5, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Windows XP.

Which dDrivers are you talking about? I just put in the CD and installed the VIA Envy driver and rebooted my system. That was it. BTW, I have sound now for some reason, just started working I guess.

And what do you mean by Audiodeck? I went into the windows volume control, went to advanced features, and checked that 2-HI thing (the second option), but I got no sound out of the connecter nearest the optical jack when I did it. I'm still only getting sound out the "Line Out" jack.

Thanks.

May 5, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 5
May 6, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 5
First, as Glassman pointed out, those jumpers actually do nothing useful for the rear out. But it doesn't harm anything, either
biggrin.gif
But anyway, they should be in the red box for line-out.

Un-install your drivers completely, get the newest ones (3.10a doesn't seem to have the balance issue, Earwax), install them, then see if it works. What port are you plugging into? You should be using the one closest to the Optical out, the black one, in this picture. (second black one if you're counting from the top) If you're not using ASIO4All, as described in my review, you'll probably want to be resampling, so use the 'High Sample Rate 2 Channel' mode.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back