Chaintech AV-710 setup on older computer
Aug 18, 2004 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Johncan

New Head-Fier
My computer is not fast enough to resample to 96,000
eek.gif
. I have an AMD K6-2 533 cpu running Win 2000 Pro. Would there be any problems/harm in using the hi sample rate setting on the Chaintech AV-710 and no resampling through Foobar?

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 8
use the new resampler, not SSRC, a lot faster and sonicaly just as good as SSRC..

Aug 18, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
use the new resampler, not SSRC, a lot faster and sonicaly just as good as SSRC..

Where can one find this new resampler?

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Where can one find this new resampler?

I can't find a direct download so I've attached the one from the Foobar2000 0.8.3 Special Installer.

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Or, just try it without resampling. I did, at the behest of a few anti-resampling members here, and realized I couldn't tell a difference. The only time so far that I've found resampling to make a sonic improvement is with crappy sound cards that internally resample to 48KHz (Live, Audigy, and more), where you use a software resampler to resample before it gets to the soundcard, and at much better quality.

Just try it at stock, no resampler. (although do set the resolution to 24 bits, or 24 padded to 32... that seems to still provide somewhat of an improvement)

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Generally, when people say resampling, they mean upsampling. Usually, taking a CD (44.1KHz) and upping to either 88.2KHz (some people say you have multiples of 44.1 to have good quality), 96KHz, or 192KHz. I've tried all three, and have to find a difference.

Their theory, though, is that by taking the 44.1/16 representation of an analog waveform, and upsampling it to, say, 96/16, you're going to smooth out any miniscule bumps there may have been. I personally think you're right, in that you can't replace data that was never there. However, it is possible that by interpolating, it may be able to create something that's pleasing, if not technically correct. YMMV.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back