Chaintech AV-710 Review
Jun 26, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #46 of 51
Well, I got my card, listened to it on the high-end amplifier and it still gets some background noise from the PC. It isn't dead silent. Using the new USB DAC I just built (see DIY forum) with battery power, I get a very quiet background with no noise from the PC supply. With this card, I get hum during playback of silence at high volume levels. Mind you, the hum is pretty much inaudible at normal listening levels, but present. With the USB DAC, no hum at all.

So the jury is still out on a good PC source for me. I think musically, the AV710 is a good card, the noise is just no good though. This is one of the few internal cards I've heard that has decent treble response.

Just a note, this is in comparison to my modified Toshibaa SD-3950 which sounds vastly superior and has zero noise, zero hum and zero hiss with the same setup.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #47 of 51
Just a question

The picture of the card on page 1 shows the jumpers covering pins on JP3/JP4.
Now are they in the Line Out position or Speaker out position.
also are the pins counted from the right i.e. 1-3 from the right or 1-3 from the left.
Please advise
As of the moment my card is setup like the picture on page 1.
If someone could answer it , then that would help as I am using a shuttle case and would require dismantling the whole case.
thanks
cheers
Kunwar

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #49 of 51
Hi, I recently purchased a HD Evolution 7.1. The PCB match that of the Chaintech AV-710 pretty much, but my jumpers are laid out differently. Also, mine has AV-710 M101 430 printed on the top. The one in this thread is M101 280.

Does anyone have any idea if my card is different?

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #50 of 51
It does appear to have the Wolfson WM8728 DAC (example). There's a good chance the PCB traces from the DAC go where we want them to. The jumpers also look correct from what I see. Have you tried using the ENVY24 drivers with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back