Chaintech AV-710 Review
May 4, 2004 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
In response to Tuberoller's demand, er, plea for reviews, and plus the fact that the AV-710 is becoming quite popular, yet no reviews, I decided to write one. I'm quite pleased with mine, anyway. I blame all errors on the fact that I'm simultaneously studying the OSI Layers while writing this. With that said, let the fun begin...

[size=small]Brief History[/size]

For the longest time, computer audio seemed to be doomed. Creative was pretty much the only available card without spending hundreds. Turtle Beach and Hercules were players, but small ones, and they didn't have the greatest game support. Then, along came the M-Audio Revolution. Great, people thought, now we can have 24/192 support for under $100. Sure, it didn't have the greatest game support compared to Creative's offerings, but for the audiophile on a budget, this was as as close to heaven as you could get. And then, the Chaintech AV-710 came out. Envy24HT based chip, the same as the Revo, 24/192 support, 7.1 card, and all for $25. The Revo uses a Asahi-Kasei AK4381 DAC, whereas the AV-710 uses a Wolfson WM8728. (Note these both only apply to 2-channel mode. The surrounds use lesser DACs) The AK4381 has a 108dB SNR, opposed to the WM8728's 106dB SNR. I highly doubt you'll notice any difference between these two, but still, for the anal amongst us, (GUILTY!) the difference is there. They are both 24/192 capable chips, however. In any case, this card was an answer to prayer. Finally, high quality PC audio was available to the masses, and with a price tag like that, no one could ignore it.

[size=small]Specifications[/size]

Envy24HT-S Controller
Wolfson WM8728 24/192 DAC for 2-channel mode
Via VT1616 18/VSR (Variable Sample Rate) DAC for Surround
7.1 Capable
Mic In/Line In/Surround Outs/Optical Out
Bundled with optical cable, drivers, WinDVD, and WinRip

[size=small]OS Compatibility[/size]

This is a big issue for many people here, and I think many times reviewers forget that not everyone uses Windows exclusively. No offense, of course, but hey, we are here
tongue.gif
That being said, this card can be used in Linux, from what I've read, using ALSA. This page has some good info on anything related to audio and Linux, but is quite long. Should answer any questions you have, though. Macintosh users, sorry, you're on your own. Googling didn't turn up anything.

[size=small]Sound Quality[/size]

Ah, the one you've all been waiting for. Before I begin, I want you to know that is is all strictly subjective, IMO, YMMV. Equipment used was the AV-710 (duh) with JP3/4 jumpered to 1-2 (more on that later), running through the Rear Out with Hi-Rez mode enabled, through a fairly crappy/normal 1/8" mini-mini to an AD832AN-powered CMoy running off of 12v AC, to HD 280 Pros, well burned in (~800 hours as of May 2004), with the Blue Tack Mod applied. 280 bashers may now shut up
biggrin.gif

Bass

Combined with the CMoy amp, this thing will shake your head apart. I realize the 280s aren't known for their
basshead.gif
qualities, but I doubt anyone will argue that they go LOW. 20Hz is no problem for these. After Blue Tack, they'll pump out low and mid bass as pretty as you please. The German EBM band Eisbrecher has some pretty serious bass on their tracks, and it's reproduced beautifully.

Midrange

Dream Theater is a well-known progressive rock/metal band, and for good reason. Their music flat out rocks. James LaBrie has rather interesting and powerful vocals, with tons of midrange. It's reproduced beautifully clear here, with no signs of clipping, harshness, or sibilance.

Treble

This is my (and others) only beef with the card; with certain CDs, notably newer ones (2000s mostly), there is harshness occasionally on cymbals, guitar solos, and some vocalists. It doesn't happen often, but it is there. The fact that it happens mostly with newer CDs leads me to believe it's mostly due to the hyper-compression applied to modern CDs. Other than that, though, it rocks. Marshall stack sound comes through loud and clear, bells ring loud and clear, applause is sharp and crisp.

Overall

The sound is tight, fast, and ready for any musical genre. I've thrown everything under the sun at this; Dream Theater, Eisbrecher, Elton John, Metallica, Michael W. Smith (his _Freedom_ symphony album) Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Tool... the list goes on. It handles them all with grace and adapts to the musical style. It can be slow and soothing one second and suddenly jump into an all out barrage on your senses. I was in awe just tonight while listening to Dream Theater's track 'Disappear' off their CD, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I could hear individual guitar strings being plucked as he strummed chords. The vocals were crisp and well defined. It was one of those moments where you just stop whatever you're doing and sit back and marvel.

[size=small]Tweaks[/size]

ammxi

As with all things, there are things that can be tweaked. The very first thing you should do is make sure you've installed VIA's drivers, not Chaintech's, on the CD with the card.
The 1.43d drivers seem to be the best as of now (May 2004), but be on the lookout for better ones. After you've convinced Windows that you want these installed (not an easy task sometimes), go into the Envy Audio Deck, click on the Digital Out tab, and make sure the Enable Digital Output box is checked. Then go down and check Enable High Sample Rate box.

I mentioned changing jumpers around earlier; this is a good start for actual mods. Look on the very upper left hand of the card, to the right of the screw, where you'll see 'JP3/JP3', and settings. Notice one says Line-Out, and the other Speaker-Out. Now, we don't want things getting amplified twice, do we? So, find JP3/4. Go over to the right about an inch, to the jumper bank labelled Front Audio. Now go down, and you'll see a chip marked U14. Directly below this are the jumpers in question. Move both of them over one notch, so they short pins one and two. Congratulations, you just modded the card! Doesn't that feel good? Now, these results have not been verified, but I thought there was increased bass, for one, and an overall tightening of the sound with this tweak. YMMV.

Also, you're going to want to get ASIO support enabled on this card double-quick. Kernel Streaming is another option, but I like having a known standard. So, how to accomplish this? ASIO4All. Download the .zip (~80K), drop the .dll into your %systemroot% folder, open your favorite audio application, and choose ASIO as the output method. (you'll have to have an ASIO plugin installed for your audio player of choice already) Also of note, it's important to make sure Wuschel's ASIO4All is the method selected. Then, open up the ASIO4All control panel (should be a shortcut on the desktop and in Start Menu) and start playing. You'll first want to try the Direct DMA Buffer I/O method, but if that fails, disable it, and start playing with buffer sizes. Also of note, reduce the buffer size in your audio player to 0, and let ASIO4All deal with that. The buffer size needed is likely going to vary widely depending on your system configuration. I'm running 1024/2, but that's just because I got tired of occasional pops while launching an application. I can have it down to around 500 if all I'm doing is listening to music or browsing the internet, but launching anything causes pops and crackles. For output options, you're going to want to disable any resamplers you have running, as this is going to output a bit-perfect 44.1KHz stream that completely bypasses KMixer. Rejoice! Output bitdepth is up to you, but might as well bring it up to 24 bit. Padding to 32 bit seems to work best with ASIO4All.

Finally, there have been a few threads about more in-depth modding. Everything from replacing op-amps and capacitors to cutting traces. I'm considering switching out some caps at some point, but you're completely on your own with this. Good luck.

[size=small]Conclusion[/size]

People who've heard both the M-Audio Revolution and the Chaintech AV-710 say the differences, if any, are so slight that most people aren't going to notice them. For $25 as opposed to the Revo's $100 price tag, you can't ignore this card. If you're hesitant about PC audio, pick up this card. Hook up a nice amp, sit back, and go through a few of your favorite CDs. Then, of course, you'll upgrade to an Emu or RME, and then you'll mod
it...
biggrin.gif

Highly recommended.

EDIT: Head-Fi member LKK has kindly translated this review into Chinese, free of charge. Props to him.

May 4, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 51
to be honest I don't think anything changes if you mess with the J3/J4 because it affects just the front output, not the one Wolfson DAC is playing on.. also, the Wolfson has not the best digital filter in the world so it's more then a good idea to use 96kHz output, enabled resampler in your audio player, because it does the filtering better than that build into the DAC, this way you shift the corner freq of the Wolfson's filter well above the audible range.. I'm also curious if you can use ASIO4ALL in the hi-rez mode?

as for the modding I think the most important mod is to replace the output coupling caps after the Wolfson with some 4.7uF Black Gates, then you can mess with power supply filtering a bit which should help particulary bass
wink.gif

May 4, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 51
hey, im curious where you got the asio4all.zip file, i can only find the exe which doesn't allow me to dump the dll file.
EDIT: N/M i got ASIO4All working, however I can't get it to work at 44.1 or at 96khz, for some reason it will only work at 48khz. I have no idea why.

May 4, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 51
Just one question on the Blackgates... N, C, Standard, or PK series? I seem to remember someone talking about the N series, but I can't remember.

Also, where on the board are the coupling caps? I see 4 larger ones near U13 (the Wolfson, IIRC), three are above, one is below. Are these the ones?

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 4, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 51
I spy what looks like the analog output OP Amp at U14 above the jumpers JP3 and JP4.

Potential for OP amp swap. or Analog output stage bypass, but I don't know how good the DAC will perform, or if it even has anough juice for it.

-Ed

May 4, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 51
Thanks for the compliments, but the picture isn't mine. GIS is a wonderful thing
biggrin.gif
I would have taken a picture myself, but it was 3AM and I didn't feel like getting out the digicam.

U14, IIRC, is only for the front outputs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read this somewhere. Argh, search is down again. Otherwise I'd look.

I'm very interested in modding the card, though. Especially adding some bigger caps in the power supply. Must have more thump...

May 4, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Thanks for the compliments, but the picture isn't mine. GIS is a wonderful thing
biggrin.gif
I would have taken a picture myself, but it was 3AM and I didn't feel like getting out the digicam.

U14, IIRC, is only for the front outputs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read this somewhere. Argh, search is down again. Otherwise I'd look.

I'm very interested in modding the card, though. Especially adding some bigger caps in the power supply. Must have more thump...

Nice review.

But regarding "more thump" -- I think the first place to look is here: http://www.headphone.com/graphs/show...hp?graphID=213

May 4, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 51
Heh, yeah, I know they aren't the flattest phones around, but they're all I've got for now
280smile.gif
Adding Blue Tack evens out the 100-200Hz out some more, methinks. And I suppose you could always EQ to even it out if you really wanted.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be getting some more phones soon; I'm thinking SR-225.

May 5, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 51
This is a great review/guide Stephonovich. Now I can finally go back to using ASIO after switching to the Chaintech from my Audigy! I just couldn't figure out at all how to do it =). A tip to those who get output error in Foobar: try setting output data format 24 bit padded to 32. I don't know why but this did the trick!

May 5, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 51
Yup; I mentioned that in the review... 'Padding to 32 bit seems to work best with ASIO4All.'

Anyway, glad you liked it. Sorry about the text wrapping over too far; I wrote in Notepad for fear of losing it if something crashed, and apparently the formatting doesn't translate well, even if I took the whitespace out. Ah well.

May 5, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I spy what looks like the analog output OP Amp at U14 above the jumpers JP3 and JP4.

Potential for OP amp swap. or Analog output stage bypass, but I don't know how good the DAC will perform, or if it even has anough juice for it.

-Ed

it's not an opamp and it's not even related to the DAC we're talking about.. Wolfson has the whole analog section on-chip, there should be just a few DC coupling caps and maybe some mutting transistors..

N/NX series I had in mind.. 4.7uF/16V or so will work best..

May 5, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 51
Would this be an upgrade over my TBSC or not? Also, would it pair well with my Grado SR-80's? I read that you detected a bit of harshness in the highs. Would this combined with my SR-80's weild a knife scraping at my eardrums?

May 5, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 51
First yes, it's a huge upgrade from the TBSC, from what I've heard. And for $25, you just can't pass it up.

As for the highs, are you amping it? Amps can alter the sound slightly. With my AD832AN powered CMoy, it tends to make the highs a tad worse, but I live with that due to the overall crispness of the sound. If you're using Burr Brown opamps, they might just mellow it out enough so it sounds 'normal'.

And I have no idea how it's work with SR-80s, but I imagine like most headphones, it's sound so-so unamped, and great with an amp. Grados are only 32 ohms, right? My HD 280s are 64 ohms it drives them OK without an amp, but there's definitely an improvement with the CMoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back