Chaintech AV-710 recording fix/compromise (also 3.10b drivers)
Jun 29, 2004 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

breez

500+ Head-Fier
In another thread I already wrote about the recording problem with Chaintech AV-710.

Problem: When High Sample Rate mode (and thus the Wolfson DAC output) is enabled the card is unable to record and output it to the back channels. The recording tab is greyed out. In some drivers it is possible to enable "Loop back Record In to S/PDIF out" checkbox at the Digital Out tab and even get some recorded audio out of the back channels (in some cases accompanied by distorted playback + high frequency noise). However the recording freaks out immediately if any other sound source plays a sound (full amplitude noise in left channel).

In my case I need the Line-in functionality to use the TV tuner with sound in my ATi All-In-Wonder card.

Today I tried finding every possible Envy24 driver to try things out. I found driver version 3.10b from Chaintech site from the *motherboard side where they have some mobos using Envy24PT. To me it looks like the same driver core as 3.10a available from VIA, but anyway I stumbled upon the fix/compromise using the b version. It most probably works with 3.10a and maybe some other drivers too, but I'm too lazy to test out (and also worried that it suddenly stops working with any driver because these things are so damned unstable
tongue.gif
)

Fix/Compromise: Just install the drivers. Don't switch to High Sample Rate mode (if you do, you may need to switch back to regular and reboot). I noticed that the audio is still getting to the Wolfson DAC with the regular 2 channel mode. Go to Digital Out tab and enable "Loop back Record In to S/PDIF out" - even if the analog Wolfson output will be used. In the Record tab select "Stereo Mixer". If Line-In or anything else is chosen, you only get what's being recorded and no system sounds or anything else. This way the sound I got from the TV tuner wasn't distorted and there was only slight interference (TV tuner card's fault in my case).

This is a compromise because >48KHz playback isn't possible anymore if you want to use the recording functionality in the same session (using >48KHz even once messes it up and reboot is required). It just seems that >48KHz playback isn't supported while recording/using "Loop back" thingy. Since I don't have any real >48KHz material I'm fine with this compromise.

BTW, when you stay with regular 2 channel and the audio still goes to back channels you can use >48KHz like in High Samplerate Mode if the source audio is >48KHz (like music resampled to 96KHz in Foobar2000). This is evident by looking at the Sample Rate tab and seeing what's being displayed. It also seems that when High Sample Rate is enabled, everything thrown at the card will be resampled to 96KHz (waveout and Directsound, Kernel Streaming didn't work unless foobar resampled audio to 96KHz).
Using the regular 2 channel mode also solves the Master Volume bug.

How useful info this is, I don't know (many people have no use for recording on this card). But maybe there is some other person using ATi AIW TV tuner and this sound card
smily_headphones1.gif

* The motherboard in question is Chaintech ZNF3-250 and Envy24 driver version 3.10b is available here. The server was very slow (2-3 kB/s) when I downloaded it so here's a mirror I set up.

Jun 29, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Thats an interesting compromise, but I know I wouldn't use it.
The main reason I got my 710 is for the 96kHz playback.

Thanks for the info though. Maybe it will (eventually) get updated so there will be no compromise.

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Im in a similar situation as the OP. Is it possible to use my computers (Dell 400SC) built in sound card as a line-in and use high sample rate on the chaintech as my line-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back