Chaintech AV-710 Problems
Jul 3, 2004 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Draegonis

New Head-Fier
Aloha,
Yesterday, I finally got my hands on the AV-710. Card itself is fine IMO, but that's not the problem. Unfortunatley, the software appears to be as reliable as a chocolate teapot here.
I'm currently running it with analog out - bass/center, front and rear surroud channels - 3.5mm jack <-> stereo phono. Also trying to get a decent headphone out, so i've still got something when others in the house are sleeping and I have to shaddup. So basically trying to get it setup for easy changing between my speakers (Abit SP50) and my Headphones (Technics RP-F350). The speakers can easily be turned off to leave just the headphones running. Using it just for music (Winamp - need to get into Foobar I guess) and games (RTCW: ET seemed fine with it when the software worked. HL was God awful. Really. Only the front two speakers got anything).
However, the software appears to have a mind of its own (VIA, doesn't surprise me, heh). One moment it'll be running 8 channels - headphones in 7/8 as I read somewhere here - and everything is fine (never really had a chance to test the headphones in 7/8 mind). Then, randomly, 7/8 will die. Then it's swap to 2 channels. Then digital will be on. Then off. Oooh, there's high sampling. Oops, gone again. Stereo EXpander's there now. Oh, or not. Oops, center/sub volume controls reset... Errr...?
Anyone care to point me in the right direction on how to make this thing, er, work - with more consistancy than an underwater hairdryer?
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small](PS: Apologies for my ignorance. I'm rather new to this sound card lark)
(PPS: Any, er, plugins or such for Foobar or additional software for the card itself to get some reverb/echo/chorus? The lack of it after coming off an SB Live! is making me want to cry. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't anything, judging by what i've seen around here. Just thought i'd ask and see)[/size]

Edit: I did follow the handy-dandy AV-710 setup guide that someone posted here, minus the fb2k specific stuff - I did get Kernel streaming going in Winamp however, but again, quality's not really the issue here.

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draegonis
It's not the drivers that's the problem. It's VIA's Audio Deck.
wink.gif

AudioDeck/Control Panel is very much improved in 3.10 too.

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
Edit: You're a fast editor! :p

Heh, indeed. Brain wasn't engadged when I first posted that. Should've thought Google straight away - I tell enough people to use it when working at phpbb.com. ^_^

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Yadda! That's it. Problem solved. Cheers chaps.
biggrin.gif

Edit: This card rules. I need to "borrow" a set of Linn speakers from work now. My SP50's are good, but, ehheh... ^_^

/me adds a well deserved link to head-fi to his sites.

(And minidisc review, moltar. Thanks for introducing me to the card.
wink.gif
)

Jul 5, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Problems are back guys, not in the same shape though. I'm guessing from the symptoms that the software is trying to use CPU time instead of hardware processing. It takes ages for any kind of sound to load, and if anything else loads while music is running, the music will become extremely grainy/bitty/die until whatever is loading has finished. Was running Winamp and playing ET, as usual, and audio just locked up and ET died. It's really beginning to piss me off now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back