Chaintech AV-710, IEMs and amps
Aug 23, 2006 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mucknuggle

New Head-Fier
I heard that the Chaintech AV-710 is not so great without an amp for IEM/can use. Is this true? Will it still sound better than my built in motherboard sound card without an amp?

EDIT: Also, newegg no longer has it for sale. Where can I pick one up?

Aug 23, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 6
I dont know where you can get it right now, I also just checked ZipZoomFly. They have it listed but its been on back order for about a week now. Hmm.
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 6
I just got my AV-710 about 15 minutes ago. Really digging it so far,got the Wolfson DAC up and pumping. A definite upgrade over the SB Live it replaced. Rig is Linux PC running Amarok > AV-710 > Sony LBT-D270 stero > Grado SR-80s. For a rig with a grand total of about $400 invested (not counting the PC!) I'm *very* happy with the sound.

Forgot: Bought the Chaintech from NewEgg...about $28 + shipping. Ordered Friday, got it today.

PPS: As a qualatative sound comparision, I fired up my favorite MP3 stream, which streams in 192kbs LAME MP3...not transparent, but not horrible. That now sounds as good as the same material played from FLAC/CD on the SB Live, which itself is a step up from the builtin AC97 on most mobos.

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Oh really? I just ordered this like 3 days ago...

Must have got the order in just in time...just looked again, and you're right, no AV-710.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I heard that the Chaintech AV-710 is not so great without an amp for IEM/can use. Is this true?

Yes, there is no true headphone out on the AV-710. There will be bass (low frequency) roll-off some where around 500Hz and phase distortion I assume:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html

You need the high input impedance of an amp to overcome this.

Quote:

Will it still sound better than my built in motherboard sound card without an amp?

Probably.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back