Chaintech AV-710 doesn't support DTS?
Mar 6, 2008 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ubel

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased an AV-710 about six months ago, not anticipating that I'd buy a 5.1 receiver any time in the future. I now have a Yamaha RX-V595a. It's connected to my AV-710 by Optical TOS-Link, but whenever I set the receiver to DTS, no sound comes out. Why?

If the card simply doesn't support DTS, what would be a good card to get?
I've been looking at the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 which is currently on sale at Newegg, I've heard it's a nice card. How is it?:
Newegg.com - M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1 5.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface High-Definition Sound Card - Retail

Thanks for any help,
Joseph

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 17
I can't give you much help other than to confirm the card can do it.

My Media PC has a 710 and it outputs DTS just fine to my Yammy RXV800. The card is currently flashed to a Prodigy, but I'm 95 percent sure I had it working before I flashed it. I'd look at the sample rate stuff and make sure you are letting it auto select the sample rate.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 17
The 710 does DTS.

Did you set your audio decoder (ffdshow/ac3filter) to use dts pass through? On my amp I don't have to set anything to DTS, I just have to make sure it's using the right source and it switches formats on the fly.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for the replies.
I'm testing using the movie No Country for Old Men with 5.1 DTS and Media Player Classic, I think I have all the options set right in AC3filter but I donno.. DTS just won't work.

Joseph

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 17
There's gotta be a guide for setting up DTS on Media Player Classic somewhere.. all the options in AC3filter are a bit confusing.

Joseph

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 17
The Av-710 can passthrough DTS perfectly fine, you just need to set your audio decoder correctly.
47666603ep7.png

This is how it should be set up. Make sure only ONE audio decoder is in use, if not it can break SPDIF and won't output correctly.
In the Audio Control Panel for the Chaintech, set it to output spdif, Ac3/PCM (48khz). Set sample rate to Auto or 48khz.

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DTS (Digital Theater Sound) is not the same as AC3 (Dolby Audio Codec 3). I use Revolution 5.1 with WinDVD and DTS works OK.

I didn't say it was, but apparently AC3filter does more than its name implies..

Joseph

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Av-710 can passthrough DTS perfectly fine, you just need to set your audio decoder correctly.
47666603ep7.png

This is how it should be set up. Make sure only ONE audio decoder is in use, if not it can break SPDIF and won't output correctly.
In the Audio Control Panel for the Chaintech, set it to output spdif, Ac3/PCM (48khz). Set sample rate to Auto or 48khz.

Thanks MrKazador, this appears to work fine!
Now if I could get it to work with Foobar2000 and other programs.. it appears I'll have to keep changing settings?

Joseph

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks MrKazador, this appears to work fine!
Now if I could get it to work with Foobar2000 and other programs.. it appears I'll have to keep changing settings?

Joseph

You mean in the Chaintech control panel? There is a trick without having to keep changing settings...

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 17
I realized this set up seems to disable Back Surr/Alt. Out 3.5mm output, why is this? I like to use this output for stereo sound as its bassier and overall better sound through my cabling.

Joseph

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm going to assume you are using 4.73 drivers and Windows XP which is what I'm using.

Open the audio control panel (chaintech). Go to the Spdif tab.
Select Enable Spdif and PCM ONLY!
Select 8 ch, Sample rate AUTO.
Select 2 ch, Sample rate AUTO.
This will allow you to use the Wolfson DAC without resampling. The trick to output AC3/DTS with SPDIF is to use Reclock with your media player.
ReClock DirectShow Filter

Go to the config page of Reclock. Use these settings...
42299195ng5.png

36941841mr7.png

63141711gm6.png

Open Media Player Classic. Go to Options by pressing O
Playback-> Output
Directshow Audio; Select Reclock Audio Renderer

**Same can be done to any Media Player that allows it, just set the audio renderer to Reclock.**

Now you can listen to music using the Wolfson DAC and still be able to output AC3/DTS via SPDIF without changing a setting in the control panel. This will also allow you to listen to a DTS-CD bit perfect though SPDIF.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 17
There's a problem with this as apparently I was using Driver Version 5.12.1.3647, I tried uninstalling and installing Version 4.73, but it didn't work. According to Device Manager I'm still using the former version.

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back