chaintech a-710 w/optical
Sep 25, 2006 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hdfonelover

Head-Fier
I have read several threads including the chaintech setup guides and tried various config combos in the foobar settings, yet cannot find the right pathway to go bit-perfect. I repeat, cannnot find......kernel Streaming with foobar doesn't work at all!!!!!!!

Can someone plz answer me, what kind of data am I getting out of the optical? Obviously digital, right? I mean, it cannot possiblely be the analog(sound) from optical out. If I'm getting digitals, doesn't that mean bit-perfect???

And what the h**l does it mean by getting the best sound using the wolfson DAC??? How can you possiblely get the best sound out of the mini jacks on back of the chaintech??? Does this mean the wolfson DAC can do better than most of the $200-$300 ranged external DACs out there???

Maybe this soundcard is not be to used with it's optical outputs???

Sep 25, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 10
There are several ways to achieve bit-perfect digital output with the Chaintech (flashing, Kernel Streaming, ASIO4ALL). Flashing works with any player software, ASIO4ALL and Kernel Streaming just with Foobar and Winamp.

Search the forum, all information on this subject is there!

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Optical out gets you digital data to be outputted to an external DAC. The wolfson DAC gets you an analog out you can amplify and listen to, with a decent quality (about ipod-like, more or less).

Optical can work with kernel streaming and with asio4all. If you flash the card to prodigy you loose the analog out, and get only the digital with way better drivers (the prodigy ones) and native asio. But you need an external DAC-->amplifier-->headphone.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 10
I just don't understand ppl who give only general statements that are already known, who try to manipulate by giving the rounds. What's the point of asking the same question over and over? When someone posts thread like this saying "I've searched the forums..." the person usually means it. Not just spent couple of hours, but maybe a week. So, don't comment something like "search the forums", it's not doing any good.

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 10
From your post above it is not clear what you are doing with your optical out. Are you using a DAC?. The place to start setting the av710 up is the famous post:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75655

Did you go through it?. I did and got it working. Kernel streaming can be tricky and need you to play with the output options in foobar. Not all of them work.

If you are asking for help, try to be nice
smily_headphones1.gif
. We help when we can, no charge, but people here do not like being jerked around. We must be aliens
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

And what the h**l does it mean by getting the best sound using the wolfson DAC??? How can you possiblely get the best sound out of the mini jacks on back of the chaintech??? Does this mean the wolfson DAC can do better than most of the $200-$300 ranged external DACs out there???

"Best" is a relative term - it is the best sound the AV-710 can produce without an external DAC. Anyway, could you tell us what are the settings you are currently using in audiodeck?

Quote:

Can someone plz answer me, what kind of data am I getting out of the optical? Obviously digital, right? I mean, it cannot possiblely be the analog(sound) from optical out. If I'm getting digitals, doesn't that mean bit-perfect???

Not necessarily. Anyway, kernal streaming + foobar + some settings in audiodeck should = bit-perfect digital output. Make sure you've set the digital out control to pcm only and check whether the sampling rate in foobar2k matches whatever sample rate audiodeck is set to. If you want to use the wolfson DAC you must resample to 96khz or higher with the newer drivers, ditch resampling and set the channels to "2" + automatic sampling rate if the digital out is all you need.

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 10
I couldn't get bitperfect out of this card no matter what I tried. There is no way to get bitperfect out of the wolfson channels resampled to 96k, the upsampling from 44.1 to 96 is lossy.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
I couldn't get bitperfect out of this card no matter what I tried. There is no way to get bitperfect out of the wolfson channels resampled to 96k, the upsampling from 44.1 to 96 is lossy.

why would you want to get "bitperfect" out of an analogue output in the first place
smily_headphones1.gif
however when you were using 44.1khz the DTS passthrough did succeed, right?

Sep 27, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
why would you want to get "bitperfect" out of an analogue output in the first place
smily_headphones1.gif
however when you were using 44.1khz the DTS passthrough did succeed, right?

Wether you are using the internal DAC or an external one, I would still want bitperfect digital to analog conversion.

As far as DTS passthru the digital output, no and I tried everything and never got a bitperfect digital out. I bought a EMU 0404 and had bitperfect in a few hours of research and asking questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back